Gruen dating with Wadsworth cases
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Gruen dating with Wadsworth cases

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mla

Gruen dating with Wadsworth cases

I found this thread discussing JackW's research in identifying Gruen dates from Wadsworth case serial numbers:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/wad...en-547367.html

There's a reference to a PDF and farther down the page JackW says, "The spreadsheet is only viewable if you are registered at the Gruen Forums."

Uh... what does that mean?

Re: Gruen dating with Wadsworth cases

Quote Originally Posted by mla View Post
    Nothing! to access the Gruen forum you need to sign in, so to do that you need to register
    Lots of great Gruen only info there
    B

Quote Originally Posted by mla View Post

There's a reference to a PDF and farther down the page JackW says, "The spreadsheet is only viewable if you are registered at the Gruen Forums."

WUS is an open community where all assets are shared with any guest. Other forums are closed communities hoarding their information unless you become a member. The forum you referenced is a closed community.

WUS is, by far, the largest watch forum on the Internet. This is one of the reasons.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Feel free to stop by GruenWristwatches.com to get free info with no registration, etc.

Another way to date Gruens using case info is using Style Numbers. It works for all case manufacturers... for the most part.

If you don't want to have to do a table looking, a tool on the GruenWristwatches website will take a Style Number as input and it gives back information including a date. The tool is on the homepage and on the page where you can find PDFs for the article on Style Number Dating, an Annex to it and other free goodies. I promise no registrations Eeeb : -) Visit Dating.GruenWristwatches.com for all the info and tools you'll need.

And load up on the reference material while you're there!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    GruenWristwatches.com

All-Gruen All the Time

Well, contrary to the suggestion that we at the Vintage Gruen forum sit or hide info, it was simply put behind a registration wall because at the time I had decided that what I figured out was worthy of publication. Furthermore the reference to the 'forum' is a now defunct forum that went away. It has since been published in the NAWCC bulletin. If anyone thinks I'm or the forum I help run (it is run by a group of dedicated enthusiasts) is stingy with information, they are wrong. The registration is simply to eliminate spammers which we have an excellent record with as to having eliminated. We also have no adverts.

MLA - If you are interested in the full article, you can access it in the Bulletin archive if you're a member. Otherwise, shoot me a PM and I'll send it to you. Same goes for anyone else that is interested and is not an NAWCC member. However, please know that I'm on the road the next week so it'll be a while before I can send it along.
    Last edited by JackW; September 13th, 2014 at 02:49.
    bobbee likes this.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

I'm sure the defunct and faded away forum was my old one which indeed is gone.

The current VintageGruen forum is active and filled with the experts, I can vouch for that.

Hmmmm.... adverts....
    GruenWristwatches.com

All-Gruen All the Time

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheWatchGuy View Post
    I'm sure the defunct and faded away forum was my old one which indeed is gone.

The current VintageGruen forum is active and filled with the experts, I can vouch for that.

Hmmmm.... adverts....
    Mike.
    I am sure your forum is good, as was your last one, but "filled with experts" is something only in dreams.

Forums may enjoy one or two "experts" but if they were "filled" with them, there would be no need for forums.

Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Mike.
    I am sure your forum is good, as was your last one, but "filled with experts" is something only in dreams.

Forums may enjoy one or two "experts" but if they were "filled" with them, there would be no need for forums.

Regards
    Whoa on the "your forum is good". Me gots no forum no more that I can call "mine". I'm a member of quite a few forums, some with Gruens some not but I no longer run one, am not a moderator on one, or anything other than joe blow user.

I DO thank you very very much HOROLOGIST007for the compliment on the Gruen forum I hosted. It's where I saw come together some of the people I consider to be experts. They started doing more and more fundamental research, and went on to make available research findings invaluable to Gruen collectors.

Since there is only one forum devoted 100% to Gruens on the internet that I'm aware of, I do consider that forum to be filled with Gruen experts. You can't sling a dead Curvex and not smack someone there that is an expert in SOME area of Gruens. It's a natural place for the brightest Gruen minds to meet, or at least be a member of. It's a great incubator for up and coming experts too. Maybe we have a different definition of experts. To me, tenure is not a requirements to be an expert, nor does tenure qualify one as an expert. I can't imagine why forums aren't needed if some have a large number of experts in them. It would seem the opposite. I send people that have no clue about Gruens over to the VG Forum because of the large number of experts.

I'm pretty sure almost all of the members at VG also belong to WUS, think highly of WUS and have recommended it an uncountable number of times.

No forum is perfect, but I don't think that VG is at the bottom of the forum bucket. Far from it.

OK, I'll stop defending what I said. I really don't want anyone to think I'm speaking on the behalf of that forum, as I am most certainly not. Please don't read it as me defending the VG Forum as the admins, moderators, and members are plenty good at that I'm sure and they need no defense that I can see from the discussion anyway. (sorry VG, didn't mean to stir trouble)
    bobbee likes this.
    GruenWristwatches.com

All-Gruen All the Time

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheWatchGuy View Post
    Whoa on the "your forum is good". Me gots no forum no more that I can call "mine". I'm a member of quite a few forums, some with Gruens some not but I no longer run one, am not a moderator on one, or anything other than joe blow user.

I DO thank you very very much HOROLOGIST007for the compliment on the Gruen forum I hosted. It's where I saw come together some of the people I consider to be experts. They started doing more and more fundamental research, and went on to make available research findings invaluable to Gruen collectors.

Since there is only one forum devoted 100% to Gruens on the internet that I'm aware of, I do consider that forum to be filled with Gruen experts. You can't sling a dead Curvex and not smack someone there that is an expert in SOME area of Gruens. It's a natural place for the brightest Gruen minds to meet, or at least be a member of. It's a great incubator for up and coming experts too. Maybe we have a different definition of experts. To me, tenure is not a requirements to be an expert, nor does tenure qualify one as an expert. I can't imagine why forums aren't needed if some have a large number of experts in them. It would seem the opposite. I send people that have no clue about Gruens over to the VG Forum because of the large number of experts.

I'm pretty sure almost all of the members at VG also belong to WUS, think highly of WUS and have recommended it an uncountable number of times.

No forum is perfect, but I don't think that VG is at the bottom of the forum bucket. Far from it.

OK, I'll stop defending what I said. I really don't want anyone to think I'm speaking on the behalf of that forum, as I am most certainly not. Please don't read it as me defending the VG Forum as the admins, moderators, and members are plenty good at that I'm sure and they need no defense that I can see from the discussion anyway. (sorry VG, didn't mean to stir trouble)
    Hi Mike
    your original Gruen forum was very good, and it had a lot of knowledgable people.

I know "experts" exist, but no room or forum is "filled" with them, not here on WUS, not at NAWCC.

Regards
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

All forums have good and bad things about them. My post just pointed out all data on WUS was available to anyone. I think this is a good thing.

The only requirement WUS has is, if you want to post, you need to claim a screen name and stick to it. You can still be anonymous if you wish. WUS is about as open as you can get.

When I started seven years ago there were a lot of watch forums which were bigger than WUS. For a number of reasons (the openness being one) WUS grew at a much faster rate than any of the others. Now it has grown to have a substantial size advantage over the other forums. (And, from what I can tell, the growth continues at a faster rate than the others.)

Yes there is a lot of advertising. There is a lot of expense associated with operating one of the largest forums on the Internet. And Ernie is doing all of this as a sole proprietorship. So the adverts keep the servers stocked with electrons and tech droogies to care and feed them. But anyone who finds them bothersome is free to use ad blockers available for various browsers (like most of the mods do...). And the 'paid for' sponsored forums are optional visits.

There is no antipathy to other forums (well... most other forums... some are stocked with discontents who were banned from WUS). It is a big world and there is room for lots of other approaches. Indeed Ernie has taken the step of opening an NAWCC forum to try to spread the word about that organization and its good works. If there were similar organizations I am sure they too would get similar promotion. David admitted Calibre11 was established in part because of Ernie's encouragement. The TAGHeuer forum discusses his major articles.

So please do not take my post pointing out WUS does not require registration to view data as anything other than pointing out one of the positive attributes of WUS.

(I wish I could get the NAWCC to emulate that... oh well. One step at a time. You should all join the NAWCC and promote openness from within!! )
    `
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information