Gruen Guild on the dial

Thread: Gruen Guild on the dial

Gruen Guild on the dial

I have a watch that I need a little help on identifying the age and movement. It is a gruen guild 17j. Looks like from the 20's or 30's. Someone said a 705 but I can't see it. Pictures are old. I have replaced the crown and crystal and the watch runs like a champ and is quite beautifull. the new crystal really improved the dial. The old one was green.
    I never saw "GRUEN GUILD" on the dial before. 1 problem that you can't see is that there is a small scratch above the hour/minute hand post on the dial. I'd hate to refinish, any sufggestions? The scratch is small, but I know it's there. It goes to bare metal.

Thx

Re: Gruen Guild on the dial

I'll leave this one for the Gruenies to identify but in their absence I'll say 1930s. 17 jewels is pretty good for a 30s watch - most Swiss makes were 15 around then.
    And I'd never in a million years redo a dial that historic and in such fine shape.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi -

Probably for the Canadian market, as the case was made there.

Early Alpina calibre from the Alpina Guild era, probably early 1920s, as this incarnation has seperate bridges which were, in later designs, combined. Escape jewel has chaton as well, this disappeared from later Alpinas as well.

Gruen Guild on the dial is fairly unusual.

As Ray has said, the dial is quite nice for this age, you'd lose a lot if you had it redone...

Quite nice for its age... congrats!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm guessing 1920s, too. By 1930 Gruen was five years into its transition from round movements in tonneau/rectangular cases to tonneau-shaped ("Quadron") movements like this one:

Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

I actually bought this watch off the guy that posted this thread from ebay. i only saw it on this site while researching. my conclusion is that it is 1925 or slightly before because of the round shape of the movement. they went oblong after that to use more of the space in the case. it is one of my favourites because of the age of the piece and the stylish art deco case. it was well worth the £60 buy it now option. looks great with a smart shirt.

Hi -

Congrats! Do have it serviced, of course, to ensure that the movement is okay and to ensure a long and useful life ticking away on your wrist...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thread Information