Gruen pocket watch

Thread: Gruen pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gruen pocket watch

Hello.

I recently inherited this Gruen pocket watch and have been unable to find anything like it in on-line searches. I am not a 'watch person' and would rather not take it out of the case to get pictures of the movement because I just paid a rather sizeable repair bill to get this beautiful watch running. I may be able to get information from the watchmaker who repaired it, if it would be helpful. I apologize for the quality of the pictures. I am not very good with the digital camera.

Does anyone have any idea as to where I can further research this watch or what the age might be?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by saubre; May 27th, 2011 at 03:23.

Re: Gruen pocket watch

That's a humdinger of a watch, but unfortunately, records for the Gruen Watch Company were destroyed in the 1950s. So it's impossible to tell it's age. It would have a serial-number on the movement, but without the records from the company, (which don't exist anymore) we couldn't tell you the age.

What's the history of it?
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I neglected to include measurements. The watch is 1 1/2" from the bottom of the case to the top of the stem, 1 1/4" from side to side and just a little more than 1/4" thick with the case closed.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by saubre; May 27th, 2011 at 03:24.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My maternal grandfather owned a jewelry store in the 1920's. We found it while cleaning my mother's house after her death. I don't know if it is part of the inventory of that store or something Mom picked up somewhere along the way.

It is very nice, but as you suspect - without seeing the movement, information is tricky to pin down.

Thats an uncommon 0 size hunter in a fine Gruen made gold case. I have one gift dated 1907. They put various high grade movements from 2 or 3 Swiss sources in these. Best is marked Madretsch as in mine. Mostly 14k since 18k a little soft for these small ones. Gruen did very fine case work at that time. If yours is nearer 1920 it will not likely have the Mad. movement although Gruen sometimes used movements from years old stock. Get your expensive servicer to show you how to carefully open it. The Gruen Swiss movements are as good as the best of their time.

Last edited by artb; May 27th, 2011 at 06:02.

Wow! Your watch is beautiful. I will try to get a picture of the movement from mine to post. Thanks for the information. Like I said, I have not seen any Gruen with such an elaborate case in any online searches.

The Gruens always sought quality in cases and movements. They had a new york office 1920-30 for doing platinum and jewel decorated specials. After 1929 and even before, commercial pressures (need to make a profit), forced less quality and specials. Another small Gruen case job ~1910 sold by dealer Bogoff:

Well, this is not the best picture of the movement, but here is what the jeweler got.Name:  Pics from iphone.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  156.4 KB
    The Gruen case number is #99810, 14K stamped.
    Movement # 126333 Swiss adjustable, jeweled

That is all he could find. He was amazed how new this movement looks.

That is much smaller than 0 size. Has before 1907 movement and case numbers. Probably Swiss size 101/2 ligne. It is a little larger than a U.S. quarter. Very like the 17j Bogoff fancy case one. I have a couple 15j similar.

Last edited by artb; May 28th, 2011 at 03:29.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information