Gruen pocketwatch collectibles. Rarest one?

Thread: Gruen pocketwatch collectibles. Rarest one?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gruen pocketwatch collectibles. Rarest one?

The top time only (there was a repeater and other very specials) are the Dietrich Gruen, 50th anniversary, and the Maadresch made movements. I have had a couple of those that were made by Assmann in large size but am curious about the small size version that is similar to the 50th Ann. except the movement is brass rather than the solid 12k gold of the 50th.

I wonder if I am right in considering the brass mvmt. as rare as the other top production models? I have seen more of the Dietrich and 50th for sale. Maybe it is the rarest?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; January 16th, 2010 at 12:47.

Re: Gruen pocketwatch collectibles. Rarest one?

I don't know the answer to your question artb, but you have just switched my preference for most desirable Gruen pocketwatch. It used to be the 50th, but I have just adjusted that to the lovely Dietrich you posted. The 50th will always be the more expensive of obvious reasons although at 650 units produced it is not especially rare.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

I do not yet own any of these. Considering the Madresch. About 1/3 cost of 50th. The Dietrich is for sale by Bogoff, N.Y. near same cost as 50th. The one I call brass may be gold plate. The 50th shown here I almost bought but a Canadian wanted it $1000. more than I did. This 1925 was engraved 1939 presentation. So 14 years for the movement on a Gruen shelf.

Last edited by artb; January 19th, 2010 at 08:22. Reason: add

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Too late for comments now. Made reasonable offer that was accepted by a major dealer. I will later report what I see and am able to find on web. Any info yet appreciated about this uncommon Gruen.
    Added Madresch pentagon and Madresch repeater (The best Gruen) photos. I cannot find Madresch as place or factory. Maybe Assmann location? The chrono repeater is available from Bogoff, N.Y. at todays equivalent of its 1925 price. A massive bunch of inflated $.

Last edited by artb; January 21st, 2010 at 10:51. Reason: add photos

I guess I answered my own question. Rarest and most cost at $825. in 1925 has to be the split second chronograph minute repeater. One of other 2 cheaper versions chronograph repeater and repeater might be rarer. I have become a better appreciator of the old German and Swiss quality in the German immigrant established fine watch company from the little and confusing history written, and owning a few. Dealers lately are getting 3 times $ today than 3 years ago. Dietrich Gruen got Swiss and German quality into a watch styled to appeal to Americans with fancy metal dials and cases.
    Last edited by artb; January 21st, 2010 at 10:53. Reason: add

At the risk of being a bore and too self serving I am again updating this. My problem of sorting out reason for Madresch marked Gruens still exists, but from German watch forum I learn present spelling is Madretsch. It is town close to Biel the Gruen main location not Germany. Gruen had a facility there. Since I have seen only the best Gruens marked Madresch, it was possibly a finishing place?

You're never a bore, although I may stop reading your threads due to excessive envy and the risk that I might break down and decide to spend money I don't have on watches that are at least close to being a nice as the ones you show.

I hadn't heard of a german facility in the timeframe of the pentagon watches; I know all the "precision" watches came from their Switzerland workshops, so your guess makes sense to me. I'm sure you've read this website on Gruen (http://www.pixelp.com/gruen/1917.html); there's a reference in there that they had a program of testing german watchmakers; the elite were assisted in moving to America. Perhaps Madresch was where they did that testing?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Finally found in 1974 NAWCC Bulletin Supplement 10:The German Assmann made most watches for Gruen in 18 and 16 size 1895 to 1904. The small size 12 Verithin originated about 1904. Gruen chose Leo Asby located in Madresch near Biel to produce the first of these. Unknown how many, but very few. They were not popular until about 1922 and of course these were normally produced at Gruen factory in Biel. Gruen used other Swiss makers as well. It is not known who did their repeaters. The Madresch movement in the fancy 1922+ 18K case had to be on the shelf for unknown time (maybe since 1904) before 1922. It is original in case and case has 1922 patent date. Gruen had 1924 built 50th anniversary movements left to sell until 1955. LeCoultre made Gruen repeaters.
    Last edited by artb; March 2nd, 2010 at 14:06. Reason: update, addition.

Final blather from me on this Madresh marked Gruen. It was delivered free in 2 days after purchase at agreeably discounted from Buy It Now price. From Ashland, in Florida in best possible packaging. Rick Gilbert and Miller there are among the best in the collector business in my opinion. Top grade as well as ordinary items very accurately described and priced right.

This is an odd one from Gruen. Finest 18k case with patent date 1922, but original older movement by Alby, Madresch 140+++. An example for 1922 has conventional movement 150117 shown in NAWCC Bulletin. The gold dial oddly has printed black paint numbers, not the usual gold ones. The movement is really fine gold plate not well shown in photo and no screw slot damage. It runs freely but cannot tell if ever worked on except some gold plate discoloration may be from cleaning solution. It is definitely the earliest Verithin with fine finish by Alby. It actually looks better than a couple of solid gold mvmt. 50ths I have recently seen. So after all a nice one to have.
    Last edited by artb; January 22nd, 2010 at 11:43. Reason: add

Pictures?
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information