Gruen pocketwatch dial sources?

Thread: Gruen pocketwatch dial sources?

Gruen pocketwatch dial sources?

After more than a year researching and accumulating a 50 different variety of p.w. Gruens 1900- 1940+ I know a little about the various German and Swiss movement models and cases from American, Swiss and Gruen's own fine gold ones. I am still entirely ignorant about Gruen sources for their tremendous variety of decorative metal dials. Most are cheap plated metal silver and gold with painted numbers. Many are seen on the best German and Swiss made watches that have much handwork and solid gold and silver as on some Gruens.. Perhaps someone European could refer me to references for the likely Swiss dial makers for Gruen and other high grade Swiss and German watch producers of 1900 to 40. The double gold ring dial is gold and silver plate. Others probably solid gold since in solid gold cases.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; September 28th, 2011 at 06:19.

Re: Gruen pocketwatch dial sources?

I found this: index

and references to a firm called Lemrich who, apparently, did dials for Omega and Rolex: http://mob.watchprosite.com/show-for...-733558/s--12/ Lemrich : Dial Maker? - The Watch Forum
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Those are some very nice time pieces and it's amazing some of them are over a hundred years old. Does it take a lot of time to track them down or do people find you, when there looking to sell. Also have found that you can find good deals on these types of wathches in this economy?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Gruens are best quality for their specials and best grades with superb gruen made gold cases before 1910. Dietrich Gruen died on the job 1911. After then there was a greater emphasis on sales volume. Being small 10s and little known to collectors, as the fine samples here, not much desired by collectors. The fine gold cased ones still have only scrap value generally. Mainly from Ebay. Few from NAWCC members. Have mostly gold ones because generally better condition and higher grade movements at best value cost.

For instance, shown here a 1907 Gruen hunter case about 0 size with a designed for Gruen only 21j (correction 17j) highest quality movement. Gruen added the best case makers from nearby Dueber and Wadsworth to his own. Generally unknown so this very fine totally Gruen product is way undervalued. Gruen P.W. sizes other then the 17L Verithin did not usually use metal dials.

Last edited by artb; October 2nd, 2011 at 12:25.

These are cracking watches Art, great pics...pure eye candy.

Is this last watch really 21 jewels? hard to discern any type of endstone to the scape wheel
    or lever.

Radger: Observant and politely tolerent of careless description as usual. Obviously 17j not 21j. Otherwise a small size of the fine Aeby Madretsch best movement design commonly 21j in larger sizes

Thread Information