Gruen Precision Alarm & Gruen Precision Waterproof -Great watches! What can you tell me about these?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By scrible88

Thread: Gruen Precision Alarm & Gruen Precision Waterproof -Great watches! What can you tell me about these?

Gruen Precision Alarm & Gruen Precision Waterproof -Great watches! What can you tell me about these?

Over the course of the past week I picked up both of these vintage Gruen watches for next to nothing while out making my rounds at the antique/junk stores. They both cleaned up quite nicely and run very well. I am not a Gruen expert by any means. Can anyone accurately pinpoint the vintage or point me in the right direction to find out when either was made? I am guessing late 1950's/1960's for both examples, although the Alarm seems a bit older. The Gruen Precision Waterproof seems like a fairly common watch, but this model of Gruen Precision Alarm seems to be quite rare, with the one identical example I found and several newer examples fetching relatively high prices (for Gruen's at least) in online auctions. The Alarm model as a mechanical alarm that causes the watch to vibrate and ring a bell as it quickly unwinds until it is shut off. The red circle you see on the dial turns green when the alarm is set. The case is 10k rolled gold, and it looks much better in person that in this photo. It is my favorite of the two and is going to get a lot of wrist time. I have been impressed with these Gruen's so far, and will likely keep my eye out for more in the future. Any info you have about these models I would love to hear. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

skinniks and busmatt like this.

Re: Gruen Precision Alarm & Gruen Precision Waterproof -Great watches! What can you tell me about th

Hi, beautiful watches both. The alarm watch is powered by a Venus Cal. 230 which is not a commonly seen movement. The other is most likely powered by a Gruen Cal. 710 which is a Swiss made movement exclusively for Gruen, not sure if it is derived from a previously existing Swiss movement.

Re: Gruen Precision Alarm & Gruen Precision Waterproof -Great watches! What can you tell me about th

Sorry, the second watch may actually be powered by a Cal. 510 witch is the manual wind version of the 710, as the dial does not indicate "self winding" or "automatic".

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice, indeed.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Thread Information