Gruen Precision Day/Date "Ra SWISS Ra" Dial
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By webbb01
  • 1 Post By mkws

Thread: Gruen Precision Day/Date "Ra SWISS Ra" Dial

Gruen Precision Day/Date "Ra SWISS Ra" Dial

Here is another piece from my personal collection, a Gruen Precision with a 17 jewel movement, autowind & calender systems. I even have the original Gruen storage box. This is a very accurate piece, and measures 33mm in diameter. I believe the "Ra SWISS Ra" dial markings means it had a Radium lume? If so, can this help me estimate the date of the watch?

Name:  il_570xN.411453391_lwcc.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  53.9 KBName:  il_570xN_411455000_iylg.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  53.0 KBName:  il_570xN.364991700_fpe1.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  163.9 KBName:  il_570xN_364999509_bd04.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  141.8 KB
    ZephyrNYC likes this.
    Brad
    webbb01

Re: Gruen Precision Day/Date "Ra SWISS Ra" Dial

The movement's a Felsa 4009. Yes, the "Ra" means radium lume. Radium lume was replaced with tritium circa 1960, so I guess that the watch is from before then. Style-wise, late 1950s. Dunno, 1958, 1959... Something like that. Rolex brags about the Day-Date being the first watch with the full day of the week displayed in a window, and the Day-Date was introduced in 1956. So if the cal. 4009 was introduced later than that, then... 1957-1959 seems like a quite plausible range of possible years of manufacture of your watch. There was a website with a good resource on dating Gruen watches by case number, but it appears to be currently (if not permanently) unavailable.
    ZephyrNYC likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

MikeTheWatchGuy's site is back up. However, I am not sure you will find what you are looking for in dating the case as MKWS indicates. IF you do have a case style number you are certainly into the "roll over" period. Mike's dating method is pretty much geared toward watches that are in the period of the actual Gruen Watch Company. My bet this watch is after the liquidation of the company (ca. 1958) and movements as well as cases were sourced otherwise then the heyday of the company. Things like serial numbers on movements and case style numbers fell to the wayside over time.

1960 is a good and well reasoned guess based on the few facts known. A better date might be determined if an advertisement could be found. But with such a nice NOS watch (looks like it with the tag there) check the box for the receipt.
    Last edited by JackW; February 18th, 2016 at 06:05.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks mkws! Is the Felsa 4009 a good movement? It was fully serviced in 2014 and is currently running at +10 seconds per day...
    Brad
    webbb01

JackW - great suggestion, but alas no receipt... But based on the replies, it looks like I have a 1960ish wrist watch!
    Brad
    webbb01

Quote Originally Posted by webbb01 View Post
    Thanks mkws! Is the Felsa 4009 a good movement? It was fully serviced in 2014 and is currently running at +10 seconds per day...
    Felsa movements have a good reputation, ever since the company has introduced the Bidynator- first automatic wristwatch movement with a bidirectional winding rotor.
    Generally, they are reliable, whether this one is any different- I don't know, not that I have ever heard of. But then again, I can only base all of that on the company's good reputation rather than any actual experience with these.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thread Information