Gruen Verithins 15 & 16j p.w.

Thread: Gruen Verithins 15 & 16j p.w.

Gruen Verithins 15 & 16j p.w.

Verithin Gruens were mainly 17j adjusted 5, 6, or 8 positions. The various Semithins were commonly 15j rarely up to 19j and 4 adjustments including temperature. However, Dietrich and Fred were conservative with jewels and offered 5 position adjt. 15 and 16j Verithins of same quality as the 17-21j movements. Two are here. Madretsch marked 16j 1913 and Swiss marked 15j 1917 Verithins. Both not common. Both in Gruen marked gold fill cases and fine dials. Not cheap watches although less than 17j, but not much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; January 28th, 2011 at 03:58.

Re: Gruen Verithins 15 & 16j p.w.

Dial reprinted on that first one? Offset against margin (clearest on sub-dial) and missing name.

Dial reprint must be so. Wonder why and who would do the sloppy misalignment. Both of these were the usual Gruen cheap buys in good cases with the good performing movements. Notice they both have the screw for selecting wind or set with stem removed that is not in the Semithins and later Verithins. I see many missing and wonder why? I see many Gruen metal dials not too neatly printed. I also find a very thin plating of the silver on brass. When cleaning cannot rub too hard or at all. I was blaming Gruen for the lousy silver dials but I presently think they were obtained from various Swiss sources. The gold alloy dials with metal numbers and old enamel as on Madretsch here are generally fine.
    Last edited by artb; January 28th, 2011 at 13:44.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As always, you excite us with these finds!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information