Gruen watch - opinions please!

Thread: Gruen watch - opinions please!

Gruen watch - opinions please!

Hi,

I'm considering a purchase of a vintage Gruen watch, and would appreciate some feedback. Do you think it's original, and is it a good buy?

Some images, courtesy of the seller:
    http://www.use.com/4a4dc65631615c24721f?p=1

http://www.use.com/4a4dc65631615c24721f?p=8

Thanks!
    Last edited by Malakim; December 27th, 2011 at 23:16.

Re: Gruen watch - opinions please!

Hi there! Looking at the movement, it's a Gruen. You can see the movement here. It dates the watch in the 50's. What does the seller says about the age of the watch?
    The dial looks good. Almost too good. If it's a good buy or not, only you can say. Are you willing to pay what the seller's asking?

Thank you for the input!

The seller dates the watch to the 1960's.

I too think the dial looks almost too good to be original - but I don't know much about Gruen watches so I really can't say.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hejsan,
    looking at the dial (pics are a little blurry in closeup), I can see some minor spots - which is rather a sign for the dial being original. If it is a reprint, at least they managed to choose the right font. But that is always hard to tell.
    This one is similar:

Tack!

I've seen the spots as well, looking more carefully. I guess it probably is the original dial. The seller says it is original, but then again why wouldn't he.

I might just go for it, I've been strangely attracted to Gruens since I got a Veri-Thin a few months back.

Not knowing how much the seller wants, I couldn't comment on if it is a good buy, but the only thing that would bother me is the stem is too long. I would need to file it down a bit to make the crown flush with the case. If the stem and crown were replacements, there is a good change the watch had some re-work done on it. I wouldn't assume it is all original, but on the other hand it may have just needed a stem and crown.

Here is one I picked up recently that is similar to yours as far as being in great shape for a vintage watch that has an original dial:
    Name:  gruen580a.jpg
Views: 4281
Size:  154.0 KB
    Last edited by RonD.; December 30th, 2011 at 16:03.

Nice watch you've got there!

I hadn't noticed the stem, thanks for pointing it out! The seller claims it has been serviced and "restored" (but retaining the original dial), so it's very possible that parts have been exchanged in that process.

The seller wants $130, which might be a bit on the high side. Looking at completed Gruen actions on eBay, they seem to be all over the place, most from $80 and up when in good condition.

However I found a similar one in great condition with a low starting price. I will try for that first and see what happens.

So many watches, so little money... :)

Quote Originally Posted by o.v.e View Post
    Hejsan,
    looking at the dial (pics are a little blurry in closeup), I can see some minor spots - which is rather a sign for the dial being original. If it is a reprint, at least they managed to choose the right font. But that is always hard to tell.
    This one is similar:

I have that exact same dial, but marked "25 Jewels":
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information