Gruens after Assmann

Thread: Gruens after Assmann

Gruens after Assmann

The first movement supplier Assmann would not do the Gruen Verithin design so in 1904 Aeby of Madretsch was used for fine quality movements about same time Gruen Swiss factory was started. Aeby had produced the first 20,000 or so Columbus Watch Co. movements when Gruen started Columbus 1874. They were friends since training with Germans Grossmann, Lange and Assmann who started the high quality German watch reputation. So the Madretsch marked Gruens were fine quality. Made in U.S. sizes 0,6,12,16. Hunter and open face cases made by Gruen. 0 and 6 sizes rare. 12 and 16 uncommon. Showing here a little used 0 with movement design very like the r.r. grade 16 with the adjusted Grossmann poised pallet escapement. Certainly comparable to the best lady sizes from any maker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; October 6th, 2010 at 23:15.

Re: Gruens after Assmann

I see archive coming! Do you actually own these??
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I have concentrated this year on Gruens with a good selection of veri-thins and pentagons initially, but recently added Assmann and these 2 Madretsch older ones and 2 good Columbus I consider Gruens. So I am fairly well equipped with Gruens. Also a couple Curvex w.w. Because of being a new and slow learner I am being embarrassed by a few of my forum images that Google shows with not quite accurate descriptions. But anything I show is mine unless noted as not. My incentive for listing is to get criticism and promote my interests to others. I find members generally too polite to get much complaint or corrections. But I certainly have learned a lot about Gruens in a few short months from asking questions and making wrong assumptions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I learn more from my mistakes than from most other sources! And sometimes they are frequent enough to be rich trove

I think one of the aspects of collecting that is so much fun is the learning. It's dope! (translation for those of us over 22: It's way cool!)

Complaints! OK, I wish you did more pictures with good closeups. The fun is sometimes in the details.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

For your complaint a couple photos of the best ever, Gruen watch that is, in my opinion, 16 size made for Gruen by Assmann 1903. Hard to see the long horned poised pallet and the very minimal escapement wheel. Not gold alloy, aluminum and bronze that is hard, and lighter. In one of the earliest Gruen made and marked gold hunter cases.

Last edited by artb; October 8th, 2010 at 14:40.

very interesting... and great images. thanks!

Appreciate the compliment, but my Canon G1 not too good for closeups. I showed a Nardin pivoted detent in a Matile made watch to someone at a resturant table with poor window light. He hand held a 7 year newer simple Panasonic slim pocket model for this image.

Last edited by artb; October 8th, 2010 at 04:27.

yeah, i can't really make out the molecular structure too clearly :)

That is a great pic of the pivoted detent escapement, looking at that picture
    I swear I saw that stone locking and unlocking the scape wheel with that
    almost imperceptible movement...tick...tick...tick...tick,
    jeepers I'm hearing it now.
    Quality like that must be hard to beat.

The Gruen looks amazing, but why they cluttered the cock
    with those proclamations of the watches state of adjustment is
    beyond me.

Thread Information