Gucci 710L Questions???

Thread: Gucci 710L Questions???

Gucci 710L Questions???

I have a small wrist, so I got a Cartier tank about 4 years ago (vermeil - 14K over sterling silver). After about 1.5 years, I put a small nick in the watch without realizing it where the silver showed through. I got more paranoid wearing the watch, thus I decided to find something with a solid gold case.
    I started by looking at vintage watches such as Hamilton but found this Gucci. It stated a solid 18K case, quartz movement, and had the classic white tank dial with the black roman numerals that I liked. I bought it on ebay after emailing the buyer about its authenticity. I sent it off to Gucci in NY to verify what it was; they replaced the battery, cleaned and lightly buffed it, put a new crown on it (not solid gold) for $42.50, and said it was a "710L model" that was stated on the back. I didn't like the black band that it came with, so I picked up an alligator skin band that is in the pics.

Question: Gucci did not give me much information on the watch. So if anyone knows anything about this watch, I would appreciate it. The back of the case states "710L". I believe it was a ladies watch made in the early 1980's when all the Cartier tanks were so popular.

I have never seen another like it in two years now, and the gold gucci logo on the face gives me doubts. It's hard for me to believe Gucci would take it and fix it if it was not theirs....I am just not convinced it is Gucci.

Cartier:

Gucci:

Re: Gucci 710L Questions???

Hi -

Gucci would definitely not have taken it if it were fake: they would've sent it immediately back at best and would have confiscated it as a fake at worst.

And a fake Gucci wouldn't be massive gold: it would be thinly plated at best and not even gold plated at worst (I've seen brass-plated watches that claimed to have been red-gold, but no one could explain the green patina on the watch... )

Why do you feel it isn't a Gucci? The more modern Guccis, especially of the most recent past, are still fashion watches, but with significant horological attributes (i.e. there is a mechanical watch inside, smothered in fashion, but it *is* in there...), while this has a quartz inside. But given the fact that Gucci has identified it as one of their own, has serviced it (and they wouldn't have serviced a fake!), and even looks like a Gucci (that massive applique name looks very Gucci to me), why distrust the evidence?

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

I appreciate your reply, and this it what causes me doubt...

I have googled "gucci 710L" at different times for two years now, and I never come up with anything on this watch. I've watched on ebay for any Gucci watch that has a similar applied logo on the dial and have not seen even one. Probably, more than anything, just the lack of any evidence that anything similar exists. I have seen several solid gold, older Gucci watches online and ebay, but they all have that printed "GUCCI" logo on the dial never a gold applied one. Also, the older Gucci's I've seen are almost always round not a "tank" style. I would think at some point I would have come across another or at least something similar in two years...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My own investigation uncovered
    this little nugget. I hope it puts
    your mind @ ease, & simply lets
    you enjoy your watch without
    any reservations.

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k37675635

Awesome; thank you for that discovery and link! I never checked the other auction sites of the world - just google and US auction sites. I looked up the conversion as well. 1 US dollar currently equals 116.30 Japanese Yen. The retail tag on the watch in the pic is 320,000 yen = $2751.50 US; and the starting bid is 130,000 yen = $1117.80 US. This really makes me feel A LOT better especially for what I paid.
    When I saw it on ebay, it had just been listed with 6 days, 20 something hours left. So, I quickly inquired about it since it claimed to be solid 18K; I knew the price seemed low if it was really what it claimed - which was another reason for my doubts. The buy-it-now was $385 plus about $10 shipping which is what I paid for it. I am wearing the watch currently and have enjoyed its "distinguished gentleman" look. Now, I will enjoy it all the more...THANKS AGAIN!

Here is a pic when we had family in town that caught the watch:

You're quite more than welcome.
    Sometimes, even the seemingly
    impossible deals are actually le-
    gitimate. Your instincts are sharp,
    & you happened along @ precisely
    the right moment!

Now, you have to ensure no family
    member(s) in the wonderful photo
    you posted decide to "borrow" your
    snazzy watch. I'm sure that's a keeper,