Hamilton
Like Tree16Likes
  • 9 Post By JackW
  • 2 Post By artb
  • 2 Post By Paleotime
  • 3 Post By northwestwatchco

Thread: Hamilton

Hamilton

I try not to be 100% about a specific brand. As such I've invested a lot of time into getting to know Gruen but still have an interest in other brands. So, here is a Hamilton that went through the bench processing... Hopefully more of a service then a butchering... full disassembly, cleaned, and reassembled and lubricated. New mainspring too. Runs better then when it showed up. Acquisition came about because I was given a preview of an estate sale and was able to pick over the watches before anyone else. Got a good deal, even if it was in the 3-figures range still.

It's a 14K Hamilton Square from 1928-ish. Movement is the classic cal 987 and it is a beautiful movement for design, function and ease for the repair person. On the case, it looks two toned: green and white gold, but discussion on another forum indicate that the bezel and back are made with a different mix of alloys than the central part of the case. Over time the two take on different color tones. Anyway, here are some pictures of this little score...

Two before pictures...
    Name:  DSC_0096_sm.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  130.4 KB
    that dial had yellowed. Think it is because acetate was the main ingredient in the material painted over the detailing of the dial. Ran it through a solution of dilute ammonia cleaner and then swirled through Goddard Silver cleaner. Results are below... There was a blob of the yellowed, lacquer that just won't come off...

Movement picture before working on it...
    Name:  DSC_0090_sm.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  121.5 KB
    Disassembled and awaiting a run through the cleaner... That is the mainspring that came out of the watch. It was in good shape and was a white-alloy or the unbreakable type spring. I still replaced it.
    Name:  parts_pile.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  145.5 KB
    resetting the end-shake and checking the fit of the balance... Getting the balance jewels back into place seems to be really the only hard part of doing this type of watch.
    Name:  bal_comp_fit.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  105.2 KB

Back together and cased...
    Name:  DSC_1148.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  118.2 KB

...and now for the obligatory wrist shot...
    Name:  DSC_1049.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  98.1 KB
    note the blob between the post for the hour/minute hands and the 3-o'clock position. Oh well. I think it looks good regardless of this.

Timing machine gives good results...
    Name:  beat trace.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  96.4 KB

Anyway... it has been a long time since I posted a restoration thread. Hope it was entertaining if anything.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Re: Hamilton

GOOD TO SEE YOUR WELL DONE EFFORTS, artb
    bobbee and JackW like this.

Nicely done and a great find.
    bobbee and JackW like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow what a tedious job but looks great. Thanks for pics

Posted by the serious Casio collector.

Nice work. Funny, I just did a very similar one about a month ago. Cleaned and replaced a broken mainspring. One of those watches that just sprung to life as soon as I dropped the balance cock back into place. I like your band. Need to find one for mine.
    Name:  IMG_4469_1.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  109.4 KBName:  IMG_4494_1.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  79.4 KB
    I have a 987S with the sweep second that I brought back to life also.
    Giotime, mooncameras and JackW like this.

Nice watch! It is interesting to compare the serial numbers on yours to mine in the data table out there. 2297xxx gets you 1927-28 and the one on my movement, 4067xxx gets you 1928-29. Nearly a 2-million difference yet likely made at most 3 years apart. Happily Hammies have such good records; this is then one of the issues with reconstructing serial number runs for Gruen. I digress...

Thanks for sharing; I like your watch. I bought a practice movement and it came with a broken mainspring. I was very pleased with the array of parts that Borel has (including mainsprings) but also how easy this watch was to work on (aided by the abundance of parts and donor movements).

Cheers!

edit - can't do math apparently...
    Last edited by JackW; May 29th, 2015 at 18:03.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Cool...The "Hastings" model I believe.

Paleo, I think this is actually the 'Greenwich' as ID'd here - Vintage Hamilton Watch Restoration: 1931 Greenwich

Northwest's hands might be replacements.

Yep...Cool. That is what I get for firing from the hip...

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Paleo, I think this is actually the 'Greenwich' as ID'd here - Vintage Hamilton Watch Restoration: 1931 Greenwich

Northwest's hands might be replacements.
    Yes, I suspect those are not the original hands. They don't seem to match the style. Prefer the ones on your watch.

Thread Information