hamilton 500 watches
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: hamilton 500 watches

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

hamilton 500 watches

I picked up a pair of hamilton 500 caliber electric watches. the first is an atlantis model. The movement has no serial number. The second is i believe a titan? It has a serial number of 719128. Id like to date these watches but come up with no info on these numbers.

Re: hamilton 500 watches

Hamilton started to phase out serial numbers on movements beginning with their Swiss made automatic models in the late 1940's and continuing with the Electrics in the 1950's.

Best way would be to look at old Hamilton catalogs, beginning in 1957 with the first Electrics. Fortunately, there is a resource for this research on the web:

Vintage Watch Forums - Hamilton Dealer Catalogs

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

You might be able to find some help over at Welcome to Electric Watches! - Electric Watches Paul is full of knowledge and very helpful
    specto magis

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I was a RR Engr for 40 years. When US RRs began to approve wristwatches many of my engr pals bought the Hamilton 505.
    Not particularly a good RR watch nor a good watch in general. I opted for the Bulova Twin Fork quartz Accutron (Pulsar also made
    an iteration that passed FRA standards). But look how Hamilton has upped their game!!!!

My uncle gave me a 17 jewel Gruen and I foolishly traded it for the Accutron. Whatta dumass I was back then.

X traindriver Art

You didn't ask, but if you're talking about Hamiton cal 500 watches, then you have to be thinking about getting them serviced. They're dead tricky, at least in parts terms. Two highly recommended guys are René Rondeau (who literally wrote the definitive book on Hamilton Electrics) and Paul Wirdnam (as previously mentioned).

What the heck is a Quartz Accutron? Accuquartz wasn't made until the early 70's.
    Bodyblue likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Banned

The electric Hamiltons almost put Hamilton out of business. They were horrible for reliability and really damaged Hamiltons reputation. Then when the Accutron came out with the much more accurate AND reliable 214 Tuning Fork movement, the Fork was stuck in the the electric watch.....especially when the very reliable 218 came out a few years later. The Timex electrics were and are a lot more reliable for a LOT less money.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    What the heck is a Quartz Accutron? Accuquartz wasn't made until the early 70's.
    The Accu-Quartz movement (224) came out in 73 that used a tuning fork controlled by a quartz crystal......after 77 when Bulova stopped making any tuning fork movements, they still used the Accutron name on their plain old quartz watches. One of the first things I learned when collecting Accutrons was that any Accutron Quartz was not a "real" Accutron. The 224 movements say Accu-quartz on the face but the Accutron Quartz units (N8+) will say Accutron on top with the word "Quartz" somewhere below that. The 224s are rather rare, I have every TF movement made (except the 214 which are more of a pain to keep running), even the two ladies movements except the 224. Every time I find one, it is not running......

Thanks gator. The watch I was curious about is a "gator bowl" 1968 presentation watch. Given to mike ford #81. Its a 1968 dial and case but sports a 500 movement? Usually the other way around

I think I'm going to find a dial with no feet

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information