Hamilton 686 - need some opinions on what (if anything) I should do with this watch

Thread: Hamilton 686 - need some opinions on what (if anything) I should do with this watch

Moderator 24 hour watches forum l3wy's Avatar

Hamilton 686 - need some opinions on what (if anything) I should do with this watch

Hello,

I posted a picture of this watch about a week ago.. and the dial looked much more... together then..

Name:  ham686.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  187.0 KB

You'll notice the discoloration rom about 12 to umm.. 4:30 or so :) .. I opened the watch to remove the rusty stem .. the crown fell apart ..not the best sign.. but anyway.. I removed the stem and decided to lightly brush the dial to see if any of that was loose dirt.

Name:  IMG_20120823_210947.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  173.2 KB

so now the paint that was on that side of the dial is basically gone.. including part of the "Hamilton". ... Probably a novice mistake on my part.

I went ahead and ordered a new stem (which you can see there).. and the watch winds and runs well.

So.. at this point I need to get a crown, clean up the acrylic(?) and.. do something with the dial. I don't know if I can fix the current dial.. if I should look for a replacement.. or if it's even worth it to do anything. If I had any sentimental attachment to it I'd get it fixed somehow.. but I have none.. I bought it as part of a watch lot on the bay basically as an experiment... No real intent to keep any of the watches long term. I'm not sure if I'll do this again though.. once one of the watches shows any sign of life I feel like I need to restore them in some way.. that I have to make them useful and presentable again..

Anyway, looking for opinions.. what should I do? Try and finish the clean up (new crown, and dial work of some type)? Forget about it.. put it up on the bay as is? Something else?

Thanks
    Marshall

Re: Hamilton 686 - need some opinions on what (if anything) I should do with this watch

Oops!

p
    Courtesy of ULF.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Oops!

p
    Yeah, really... lesson learned I suppose.

Sent from my MZ609 using Tapatalk 2

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Hamilton 686 - need some opinions on what (if anything) I should do with this watch

Quote Originally Posted by djspite View Post
    Yeah, really... lesson learned I suppose. Sent from my MZ609 using Tapatalk 2
    Everyone - and I mean absolutely everyone that is actively into vintage for any period of time has done this or at least its equivilent damage and in most cases much worse.

You could throw a generic crown on it and enjoy it.

Or you could:

polish the case

send it to the platers

replace the tube

find a new imprinted crown

install a new crystal

search for a NOS dial or get a quality redial

clean up or replace the clutch and winding pinion

COA the movement

source a new caseback gasket

get some double shoulder pins and a killer strap

and you've got a resto you can be proud of

p
    Courtesy of ULF.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Everyone - and I mean absolutely everyone that is actively into vintage for any period of time has done this or at least its equivilent damage and in most cases much worse.

You could throw a generic crown on it and enjoy it.

Or you could:

polish the case

send it to the platers

replace the tube

find a new imprinted crown

install a new crystal

search for a NOS dial or get a quality redial

clean up or replace the clutch and winding pinion

COA the movement

source a new caseback gasket

get some double shoulder pins and a killer strap

and you've got a resto you can be proud of

p
    Yeah, I'm really torn about this. I'll have to search around some for dials. I've seen crowns available, and polishing I'm ok with.. not sure about getting it plated. .. a lot to look into. I haven't tried cleaning a movement yet... going to have to do more research there too.. don't know if I want to risk botching it on that 686, although they and the parts don't look too rare at the moment (I could be wrong).

Thread Information