Hamilton 916 Pocket Watch

Thread: Hamilton 916 Pocket Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hamilton 916 Pocket Watch

I just received my grandfather's pocket watch from my mother. I've been doing some research about it at Watchuseek & a few other sites.

Seems it was made in 1927-28, it is a Size 12, and is 14K gold filled Wadsworth case. It was also a lower end model. I found an old Size 12 ad from that time period and they ranged in price from $48 to $250. As you can see on the label in the box, this one was $65.00.

Edit: I forgot to add that it has been keeping great time for the past couple of days too!

Thanks for looking. Comments and any additional info welcome.
    Last edited by JLK1962; May 15th, 2010 at 21:15.

Re: Hamilton 916 Pocket Watch

Wow, I'm not a pocketwatch collector but having the original case and papework along with condition makes that a very desireable watch. Even if it's not the highest grade and in a less desirable size the package is superb. If the servicing history is unknown or it's been awhile I would get it serviced.

It's a very nice watch, JLK, but as Mike says, if it hasn't been serviced within the last 10 years...get it serviced. You don't want to turn your grandfather's pocket-watch into a very very very pretty paperweight.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice, guys. I do plan to get it serviced soon, and have been very surprised how long it has run on a single partial winding.

I also received an older pocket watch which is key wind, but it has no key. I'm looking forward to taking that one in for service so I can find out if it works.

I would hate for either one to be a paperweight!

Your grandfather's watch there is very nice.

Like you say, it was made in the 1920s and has a very nice Art Deco flair to it. 17 Jewels & three adjustments makes it a good quality watch from Hamilton, which was a good watchmaker. Serviced and cleaned, it should keep excellent time. Buy a chain and wear it with pride.

Oh, and show us the keywind watch too...we like pictures...
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I got a couple of chains with the watches & I'll put pics of them up tomorrow. Both belonged to my grandfather (OJK).

Also plan to take pics of the key wind watch too. IMHO it's much more interesting to me because it is so much more difficult to get details about it. Best I can tell so far is it is probably French, pre 1890 or so, and I think the case is silver because it is really tarnished. It is engraved with an AK - didn't even know I had an AK in my family's past. It is an 8 jewel (huit rubis), cylinder escapement (cylindre), key set (Aiguilles) and should be a lot of fun to learn more about. (Should this watch get its own pic/question thread?)

All I can add to that is, yes we (I) do like the pictures!

If you don't have a watch-key for the second one, a search on eBay or at flea-markets and elsewhere, should be able to furnish one for you. Either a modern reproduction one, or an antique one.

Oh, and show us the chains, too.

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

You are lucky to have an heirloom Hamilton that is in original condition and complete with box and documentation. It doesn't get better than that. Your watch was in a lot of 1000 pcs sent to Hamilton finishing department between February 17 and May 20 1927. Total production of grade 916 was 33800 pcs between 1923 and 1928. The last one was sold as late as 1935.

Please start a new thread for the keywind.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Was this a popular watch when it was new in the 20s and 30s, Erik? I absolutely love it!

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Was this a popular watch when it was new in the 20s and 30s, Erik? I absolutely love it!

It sold comparable less than other Hamilton 12s 17J:
    • Grade 910 produced in 153793 units between 1914 and 1923.
    • Grade 912 produced in 260900 units between 1923 and 1936.
    However those two grades were slighly lower on the rank, being 'adjusted' while the 916 was adjusted to three positions. It seems to have sold at about the same rate as its predecessor, also adjusted to three positions:
    • Grade 914 produced in 43100 units between 1912 and 1923.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information