Hamilton 950 Montgomery dial - is it worth it, help please?

Thread: Hamilton 950 Montgomery dial - is it worth it, help please?

Hamilton 950 Montgomery dial - is it worth it, help please?

Good afternoon all, I am definitely new to this and am trying desperately to find a special gift for my son who is getting married. A pocket watch seems like a traditional gift for the new groom. I want something heirloom quality but know very little. I am even finding it difficult online to find comparables and what is considered a good quality watch worth collecting.

I have found a Hamilton 950 with a Montgomery dial in 10K gold. It runs beautifully with the gold center wheel. It is railroad grade with 23 Jewels, 6 positions and has the lever set. The seller has been in the watch business for over 19 years and assures me the parts are original. The crystal is clean and clear but the face has a hairline shadowy crack just below the 3 and a very small one in the 12. The cracks are very hard to see unless you know to look. I don't have any pics but he did give me the serial numbers 846859 in the mechanics and 9622210 from the back case.

I have found that the railroad grade is considered important and of course the original parts and condition of the piece. I know 23 Jewels is the highest (?) and is good and the Montgomery dial is less common.

The seller is asking $1300 and says it is worth $1500. I don't want to be taken and I want something my son can be proud. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, RAF

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Hamilton 950 Montgomery dial - is it worth it, help please?

I don't think that we can give valuations here, and I'm not sure how far that extends.

If the case truly is 10K all the way through, $1300 is probably about the melt value and so I'd consider that decent.

If it's 10K gold filled(as I would strongly suspect it is), IMO that price might have been OK 10 years ago. In the current climate, it's high by a significant amount, especially with a less than perfect dial. Incidentally, Hamilton Montgomery dials are NOT rare by any stretch, although they are less common than some of the other styles. The correct style of Montgomery for a watch of that age should have a script "Hamilton" signature(NOT "Hamilton Watch Company.") Check this out carefully, as it can hurt the value of the watch.

Further to what Ben said, another question is how reputable is the seller, does the watch have any sort of guarantee, was it serviced (and can he demonstrate that it was serviced) etc. For the price mentioned, I'd expect a near-mint watch in a gold filled case or a good quality solid gold case.

BTW, I don't think anyone made solid 10k cases in the US, but I could be wrong.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

One other thing I noticed earlier, but wanted to double check on before I commented on it.

A 950 should have a full gold train, and not just a gold center wheel as described. If it's only a gold center wheel, it should stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the train. I'd definitely suggest taking a close look at this, as it will SERIOUSLY hurt the value of the watch to not have this. I have several gold train watches(although not a 950), and I'm very picky about it. In fact, I even returned a watch I bought on Ebay several months ago because, when I received it, I noticed that one of the train wheels had been changed for a brass one.

Rob, come to think of it, I don't ever recall seeing an American 10K case. There are a lot of the Brooklyn cases that are 8-9K, but no 10K.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post

Rob, come to think of it, I don't ever recall seeing an American 10K case. There are a lot of the Brooklyn cases that are 8-9K, but no 10K.
    If a case is not at least 14kt, it can not be advertised in the US as gold. The UK allowed 9kt but not the US. I too have seen no 10kt US cases... but many here know more than I.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

i think already very good responses are here. but in case of my reply i think Pictures would help a lot.

Thread Information