Hamilton 950B Dial Question
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By thoth
  • 1 Post By thoth
  • 3 Post By Ben_hutcherson
  • 1 Post By GeneJockey

Thread: Hamilton 950B Dial Question

Hamilton 950B Dial Question

When did Hamilton switch to the composite dials on the 950B? I had a composite one in the past and just bought one with a porcelain 23j marked dial. The serial is S1478 and this points to a 1942 production based on the Hamilton material but it is a 2nd run watch and I am not sure at what point they switched.

Any ideas?

Edit - Just a quick search showed me 2 watches S6706 with a porcelain and S6738 with composite. Yet I see a S10467 with a porcelain dial. Confused now. I know that over time watches may have had a damaged dial and a new one could have been ordered that was composite but I am unsure if the factory was turning out both at the same time.

The meeting minutes of the Materials Committee 6-20-46 state on page 5 item 4 that "Mr Shubrooks stated that development work on Melamine enamel dial project was still under way and that consequently present production costs were still higher than they would eventually be."

So post 46 for Melamine and pre 46 for porcelain in general. Still looking......
    Last edited by thoth; April 30th, 2018 at 23:31.
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Hamilton 950B Dial Question

Ok so I have a date I think. In a document about new models and dials for release in 1947 there is a statement about Melamine Dials and says "September 1st (About this date)" AN then just under September 23rd Melamine Heavy Gothic - used on RR Model - taken from Sales Sheets.

So is that a concrete date.... Or should it be said that pre 47 would have a porcelain dial, 47 could have either, and post 47 melamine?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Misc0097.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	719.5 KB 
ID:	13102221
    busmatt likes this.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

I have always understood the transition from enamel to melamine to have occurred "around" 1947 as supplies of the former were exhausted.

I would regard a pre-war watch with a melamine dial with a healthy amount of skepticism, and the same of say a 1950 watch with enamel.
    thoth, Michael Maddan and busmatt like this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    I have always understood the transition from enamel to melamine to have occurred "around" 1947 as supplies of the former were exhausted.

I would regard a pre-war watch with a melamine dial with a healthy amount of skepticism, and the same of say a 1950 watch with enamel.
    That's a relief! I was afraid the enamel dial I used on my 1943 992B was an anachronism, and I didn't want to have to find a melamine dial that wasn't all cracked.
    thoth likes this.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

So based on production numbers and serial dates from the records, the run starting S4401 to S7400 would be roughly the time they switched and could be mixed. Making the estimated number of 950B with a porcelain dial total 4,700 and the estimated remaining 13,700 after that run melamine. I guess the only sure way to know would be if there was a record of how many porcelain 950B 23j marked dials were fired and installed and if there was a surplus of dials.

Thread Information