Hamilton 974
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hamilton 974

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hamilton 974

This is my Hamilton 974. The serial number should place it around 1910 I think. I have a question to the dial design; I have recently seen a 992B (ca 1947) for sale with almost identical design. The font used is the same including the little tail of the hour mark 4. The only difference I see is that on my watch the orientation of the smaller red minute digits is radial while on the 992B they are arranged horizontally. And the dial of my watch is double sunk, the 992B single. Was the same basic design used for the entire period, or is one or both having a non-original dial? I did not include picture of the 992B as it is still for sale, but hope my explanation is enough to give some advise.

Erik_H

Re: Hamilton 974

Hi Erik
    Here is a post I did on a 992B as you can see it's not double sunk and it's the original dial on mine and that a nice hamilton you got there.Here's the post https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...highlight=992b

This is a question that Ron in PA is best qualified to answer.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you really want a "qualified" answer you should go to the NAWCC.org web site, the American pocket watch section. At the top of the page there is a "sticky" with a list of Hamilton oriented threads.

Ray calls me an expert for some reason, but the real experts on Hamilton stuff are over there, the folks I've been learning from.

My observation on my own Hamilton PWs is that superscripted numbers on the dials of RR watches are always horizontal while on non-RR dials it can be both ways. Single sunk and double sunk dials are on both RR standard watches and non-standard watches.

"Hamilton" in scripted form is indicative of earlier watches, but I can't remember the cutoff date.

Most collectors like a Hamilton pocket watch so I've added my Hamilton to the mix.

It is a Hamilton & Co, 18kt half hunter with London marks dating it to 1887.
    The movement is a very nice quality 3/4 plate English lever, pin set and with
    going barrel :)

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    If you really want a "qualified" answer you should go to the NAWCC.org web site, the American pocket watch section. At the top of the page there is a "sticky" with a list of Hamilton oriented threads.

Ray calls me an expert for some reason, but the real experts on Hamilton stuff are over there, the folks I've been learning from.

My observation on my own Hamilton PWs is that superscripted numbers on the dials of RR watches are always horizontal while on non-RR dials it can be both ways. Single sunk and double sunk dials are on both RR standard watches and non-standard watches.

"Hamilton" in scripted form is indicative of earlier watches, but I can't remember the cutoff date.
    Thanks, a really useful link. After checking I found there are indications the scripted dial signature as found on my 974 was used between 1905 to 1918, so should be appropriate for this watch. Around 1918 there was a transition to block signature dials. Even though there may have been excess stock of the earlier dial to be used up later, it seems unlikely that it should have lasted until 1947.

Erik_H

This is a very different Hamilton to be sure. The American Hamilton didn't really get started until the 1890s.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks Ron but don't be too modest. You are certainly the most knowledgeable Hamilton collector here. And you are in Pennsylvania after all.

Luuuuuuuuuuucky!

Oh mother, that case looks...wow...Wish mine looked that good.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Here is a 974 I recently picked up. Serial number dates it to 1929. Can anyone recommend a good contact for servicing Hamilton pocket watches?

Name:  0217 - Hamilton Face.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  320.6 KBName:  0217 - Hamilton Movement.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  397.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information