Hamilton 982 wristwatch
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By pmwas

Thread: Hamilton 982 wristwatch

Hamilton 982 wristwatch

Hi all!

Today's presentation is about an old Hamilton - USA made - wristwatch from 1940s or 1950s...
    It is a Hamilton 982 I bought for very little money a long time ago.
    It was bad and I bought it as a practice piece for practising my skills.
    Telling by the ammount of damage, I was not the first unauthorized person to work o this poor thing.
    I had no skills and bad tools, so t ebalance staff replacement did not go too well, and I scratched (but not bent) the balance wheel arms, yet after the replacement it turned out to work not too bad.

So I added hands as close as I could get to the original ones, and left the watch be.
    Yesterday, I disassembled it once again, to take pictures and reoil it.
    Here goes:

Name:  DSC09793.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  327.2 KB

The watch disassembled. This model has a gold plated balance wheel with Breguet hairspring, and steel, double roller Swiss lever escapement.
    The assembling begins with the cap jewels and mainspring.

Name:  DSC09800.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  457.2 KB

On I go with the gear train and bridges.
    This movement seems to be more convenient to assemble top side first, I think.

Name:  DSC09802.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  636.7 KB

Then the dial side. There is a simple keyless works there, very pleasant to work on, nothing flies across the room...
    The palet bridge is very tight and difficult to take off and place back. But that's the only difficulty I encountered.

Name:  DSC09809.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  682.0 KB

The rest of the assembling is simple...

Name:  DSC09822.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  598.3 KB

Like I said, the hands are not original to the model, they are the closest Hamilton hands I found. Second hand is totally wrong, I'll replace it when I have a better one.
    The dial washed up quite nicely. Such dials you have to wash very gently, just a short rinse in water and soap and that's it. Later on the paint will start to go off...

The biggest issue is the bent escape wheel. Such movements (not just Hamilton's movements) have two slots on the side - one for the tool to take it out of the caseback, and second for the escape wheel. Putting a tool in the escape wheel slot instead of the correct one, ends up in bending the wheel.

Name:  DSC09826.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  119.7 KB

Interestingly, the bent wheel is not bad enough to impair the movement's performance.
    Not bent enough it seems. I did not try to straighten it, this is bound to end up bad.
    Anyway, after all repairs, the movement has -30s in center regulator position, with up to 1 minute (+1s to -55s) positional deviation.
    Not too good, but not too bad as well. I know professionally serviced movements doing worse than that.
    The escape wheel would need to be replaced and the balance re-poised, but it's good enough for me. Good enough for a busted watch made a good looking, quite collectable timepiece again :)

I also like the quality of this piece. It's just beautiful inside.
    All done with attention to details. Of course it's the art the owner won't appreciate, but surely worth doing.
    We all know where the idae that's what can't be seen doesn't need to look good has lead watchmaking in the seventies ;)
    Last edited by pmwas; March 8th, 2017 at 12:22.
    Have a great day!!!

Re: Hamilton 982 wristwatch

That is a very gorgeous watch and nice work! :)

Thread Information