Hamilton Chrono 18k Gold questions

Thread: Hamilton Chrono 18k Gold questions

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    741

    Hamilton Chrono 18k Gold questions

    I really like the look of the 7750 based Hamiltons so I have been browsing a lot, found this on the bay and I am pretty interested. Of course I am dubious as to this seller so what can you tell me about this watch? Is that solid gold or plated? Is the stated 1940-1969 accurate or complete bunk? Regardless or all of that I like the look and really would like to have one, but I want to know what it is and if I am getting ripped off.


    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220059661684

  2. #2
    Member JohnF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oberstedten, Germany
    Posts
    9,650

    Re: Hamilton Chrono 18k Gold questions

    Hi -

    Almost definitely not 1940-1969, but rather a modern incarnation using a modern calibre.

    Hamilton didn't really make that many chronographs before they were acquired by the Swiss, and the few that they did make were so-called bicompax watches that had only two subdials, not three. Many were military, which would never have been in gold - not even the richest military would issue such an item - but I can't comment on whether it is gold or not, since the pictures are too small to determine that (it'd be a guess in any case).

    The look is also considerably different, very much reflecting the newer design team that started remaking the brand in the 1990s, and that's where I'd place this one, possibly even as late as the beginning of the current millenium.

    It's nice, but very much a more modern watch than the older Hamiltons. Price is not excessive for a gold watch, but since the vendor isn't being straight with you on the vintage, I'd be hesitant with the rest as well. As with all eBay sellers, check their points and their rating, and as with any eBay purchase, see if the seller has experience selling the kind of object in question (i.e. if they are selling a gold watch for $1600, have they sold high-value watches before? Or have they only sold cheaper watches, and did they describe them correctly?)

    Go take a look and decide for yourself: if you ask me, I won't answer, but I think you can, after taking a look, come to your own conclusion.

    As always with eBay, buy the seller, not just the object.

    JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    741

    Re: Hamilton Chrono 18k Gold questions

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

    Almost definitely not 1940-1969, but rather a modern incarnation using a modern calibre.

    Hamilton didn't really make that many chronographs before they were acquired by the Swiss, and the few that they did make were so-called bicompax watches that had only two subdials, not three. Many were military, which would never have been in gold - not even the richest military would issue such an item - but I can't comment on whether it is gold or not, since the pictures are too small to determine that (it'd be a guess in any case).

    The look is also considerably different, very much reflecting the newer design team that started remaking the brand in the 1990s, and that's where I'd place this one, possibly even as late as the beginning of the current millenium.

    It's nice, but very much a more modern watch than the older Hamiltons. Price is not excessive for a gold watch, but since the vendor isn't being straight with you on the vintage, I'd be hesitant with the rest as well. As with all eBay sellers, check their points and their rating, and as with any eBay purchase, see if the seller has experience selling the kind of object in question (i.e. if they are selling a gold watch for $1600, have they sold high-value watches before? Or have they only sold cheaper watches, and did they describe them correctly?)

    Go take a look and decide for yourself: if you ask me, I won't answer, but I think you can, after taking a look, come to your own conclusion.

    As always with eBay, buy the seller, not just the object.

    JohnF
    Oh, I really don't like the seller at all as he has only sold some low priced artsy stuff and some cheap (under $50) watches. Account only open sense the beginning of the year with low and some bad feedback already.

    This model looks almost exactly like the modern watches I see on Hamiltons pages for the Khaki Field Auto Chrono so I agree with you it can't be older than say 10 years I bet.

    Basically I rather like the look of the watch and I would like to eventually get one know that I know they exist. Know of any good Hamilton forums? Thanks for the informative reply!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member JohnF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oberstedten, Germany
    Posts
    9,650

    Re: Hamilton Chrono 18k Gold questions

    Hi -

    We agree.

    It's a nice looker indeed.

    Sad to say, I don't know of any good Hamilton forums...will have to see why not!

    Best of luck in finding your Hamilton...

    JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる


  6. #5
    Member pacifichrono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sunny San Diego
    Posts
    3,452

    Re: Hamilton Chrono 18k Gold questions

    I would never pay that sort of money to a seller with his feedback rating.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom
    ____________________________________________________
    "There are two kinds of people in this world, my friend, those with loaded
    guns and those who dig!"................Blondie to Tuco in TGTB&TU (1966)


  7. #6
    Member Ray MacDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Almonte ON Canada
    Posts
    23,771

    Re: Hamilton Chrono 18k Gold questions

    I agree with John. Since Valjoux 7750s have only been around since 1973, that pretty much rules out the earlier dates. Also Hamilton was an American company prior to 1969, not in its current Swiss incarnation as part of the Swatch group.
    A Hamilton forum would probably concentrate on the older American styles I should think.

    There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    741

    Re: Hamilton Chrono 18k Gold questions

    Well Hamilton got back to me with a little info:

    Dear Scott,
    This watch is a solid gold. Its retail value used to be $3000.
    Regards,
    Murielle
    Wish they would have told me a model and year. Oh well.

  9. #8
    Member JohnF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oberstedten, Germany
    Posts
    9,650

    Re: Hamilton Chrono 18k Gold questions

    Hi -

    Not just that: the wording is weird. The retail value *was* $3000, not "used to be". That sounds more as if the retail value was at one point $3k and then it was changed to something else.

    And "is a solid gold"? A solid gold what?

    Sigh. Sometimes you gotta wonder what people were thinking - if what they were doing could be called that - when they post their stuff on eBay. On the other hand, I've gotten some great buys that way...

    JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる


  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    741

    Re: Hamilton Chrono 18k Gold questions

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

    Not just that: the wording is weird. The retail value *was* $3000, not "used to be". That sounds more as if the retail value was at one point $3k and then it was changed to something else.

    And "is a solid gold"? A solid gold what?

    Sigh. Sometimes you gotta wonder what people were thinking - if what they were doing could be called that - when they post their stuff on eBay. On the other hand, I've gotten some great buys that way...

    JohnF
    Actually that response was from [email protected] not the ebayer, as I said above I am having nothing to do with this auction unless he has a storefront I can walk into in Quincy MA, but of course big surprise here; I don't get any answers to questions I post to that ebayer.

    Anyway that email was in response to my question I posted to them on the Hamilton contact us page so apparently she is one of the people people that handles the [email protected] questions account, which is where that contact us stuff goes when you fill out the page at http://www.hamiltonwatch.com. I am willing to bet even if you select USA there you aren't getting someone in the US given the response I got.


    I have a feeling this was not meant to be. Too bad Jörg doesn't seem to do much work with gold, how awesome would it be to see an Edition 7 with a gold case?

  11. #10
    Member Ray MacDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Almonte ON Canada
    Posts
    23,771

    Re: Hamilton Chrono 18k Gold questions

    Quote Originally Posted by scottjal View Post
    I am willing to bet even if you select USA there you aren't getting someone in the US given the response I got.

    No, you are getting a response from Swatch in Switzerland. Hamilton is one of their many brands and has nothing to do with the USA - hasn't in more than 35 years.
    These days Hamiltons aren't even made in Switzerland. "American" brand, Swiss owned, assembled in Asia - go figure. I stick with the real thing - but you have to go back prior to 1969 and choose the wind-ups.

    There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Vintage Swiss & American Watches FS
      By Jürgen in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: January 30th, 2007, 17:32
    2. All over You
      By skyhook in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: September 23rd, 2006, 17:40
    3. Vintage Swiss & American Watches
      By Jürgen in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: July 13th, 2006, 02:33
    4. Vintage Swiss & American Watches FS
      By Jürgen in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: June 15th, 2006, 23:18
    5. Vintage Swiss & American Watches FS
      By Jürgen in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: May 14th, 2006, 02:52

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •