Hamilton Chrono-Matic
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Hamilton Chrono-Matic

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hamilton Chrono-Matic

Just go it today, absolutely love the design

stopped at local watch shop and they said everything is original and need service soon- will cost 300$ and close to 2 weeks as he is real busy

Glass has few scratches, but other than that it is in great shape. Not original stap

"Swiss Made T" why there is T???!!!!

On the back: Serial number 11002-3. Stainless steal. Water-resistant. 3ATM. Shock-resistant (what do it mean??). Anti magnetic.

I am just getting into watches and have few questions:

• should I do a service and what I will get from it
    • where should I do it (what I saw online this is a vintage model and Hamilton did not keep parts- super hard to find any)
    • what other 2 dials do, when I got the watch they were at 12 and 30, now after 2 hours they are at 2 and 9 respectively
    • how can I open the back and find out which movement it is (it is pretty loud actually, how loud are those old automatic movements)
    • where I can get original strap, if I actually can get it

Thanks a lot!!!

Name:  photo(5).JPG
Views: 3327
Size:  118.1 KB
    Name:  photo(4).JPG
Views: 3278
Size:  92.2 KB
    Name:  photo(6).JPG
Views: 3254
Size:  84.7 KB
    Name:  photo(7).JPG
Views: 3246
Size:  81.4 KB
    Last edited by mel_smog; July 16th, 2014 at 00:07.
    JP71624, OhDark30, ltb828 and 1 others like this.

Re: Hamilton Chrono-Matic

These are micro-rotor movements, that's why special watches. It looks to be well preserved. This color combination on dial is called ' Panda ' it's another after sought spec. 3 ATM is the water-resistance at default when it left the factory, don't expose it to water until you get it pressure tested. Normally 3 ATM means, the watch can water-resist splashes, showers and even swimming, maybe even diving to max 20 meters ( remember at sea level you are already at 1 ATM ).

The small dials are the subdials so called, they measure the elapsed time in 30 min intervals ( the one at the right ), and the left one is 12 hour totalizer. The center seconds is the main guy there. For example in the photos, your chronograph is functioning, and I would recommend not to use it constantly. To stop it, push the button right top, the center seconds should stop and then push right down button to reset the hands all to zero, they all look up- to default. So basically the center seconds works and the others count how much it worked:) In these watches you won't see something moving constantly. The center seconds is a chronograph hand, so you will see only the minutes and hours advancing, hybrid.

You need a case-back opener, to open the screw down case-back. If you never did if before leave it to somebody who knows, otherwise will scratch it allover. I would say practise your curiosity on simpler watches . It's a beautiful piece and Hamilton, together with Buren was involved in developing these watches. It was the so called coalition of Breitling, Buren, Heuer, Dubois Depraz who beat Zenith !! ( Hartmut don't ban me Zenith presented it first, the coalition sold it first ) over the quest for the first automatic chronograph wrist watch in 1969.

Make sure the person who will service it, knows what he is doing. These are complicated and primitive movements ( first automatic chronograph line ). Let me know if you need a watchmaker with access to spare parts of these chronomatics,can happily recommend one from the US, your neighbors.

All in all, very nice timepiece, use it in health.
    Last edited by Emre; July 16th, 2014 at 00:38. Reason: message to Hartmut :)
    derids, WatchFred, kazrich and 3 others like this.

If Hartmut bans you, I'll un-ban you! LOL

Heuer called this the Calibre 11.

The T means tritium was used in a compound to produce the lume.

This watch is too valuable to be your first experiment at a caseback opening.

I bet Al Archer (gts) would be a good Canadian watchmaker to try. (gts == google that stuff)
    Emre likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here is some reading material regarding the original Cal. 11 Project and the race to market the first automatic chronograph.

Project 99 -- Parts One and Two

There's a picture of your watch inside the article.

Note - The El Primero isn't. At least IMO. First to market means more than just an announcement.

Take care,
    gatorcpa
    derids and Emre like this.

Project 99 - Great article - especially as a 6139 fan...

Thanks gatorcpa

And to OP... Great watch....And service without a doubt....
    Last edited by jackruff; July 16th, 2014 at 03:13.
    Tomcat1960 likes this.
    So many watches.....so little time.....

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Zenith Cal. 3019 PHC "El Primero" is the first - without any further qualifiers! Cal. 11 was seconds on all counts.

Hartmut Richter
    Emre likes this.

That's a beautiful watch - congratulations!

I'd send it to Archer Watches. Everyone on the forum raves about his work.

ArcherWatches.ca

I forgot to add VERY cool watch. I almost bought one a few years back and held off, but I still think about it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Zenith Cal. 3019 PHC "El Primero" is the first - without any further qualifiers! Cal. 11 was seconds on all counts.

Hartmut Richter
    First to show, last to sell.

El Tercero,
    gatorcpa

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information