WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Hamilton Chronomatic Pan Europe

13K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  John MS 
#1 ·
Hi all, having joined your company yesterday I would like to ask a question of any Hamilton enthusiasts. I have recently acquired one of these which I'm told dates to 1971. The helpful staff at Hamilton were able to tell me that it has the calibre 11 microrotor automatic movement which I believe is also found in the first automatic autavias and Breitlings of the same era. It was apparently sold for $275 when new. They were unable however to tell me the significance of the '703' number on the dial seen under the 'pan europe' script. Does anyone know the significance of this number?
Thank-you for any contributions.
Jem

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for posting. Unfortunately there is far less information available on the Swiss made Hamiltons made at the end of Hamilton's existence.
My guess is that 703 might be some sort of model number but I don't know. Caliber 11 movements are very collectible as far as I know.

#3 ·
Can't comment on the 703, I'm afraid. Hamilton got the rights to the use of that movements because they bought up Buren and the Buren microrotor movement provided the base for the chronograph mechanism. This was developed by Dubois-Depraz and Breitling and Heuer-Leonidas (later TAG Heuer) provided the cash. The whole thing was narrowly pipped to the post for the title of "World's first automatic chronograph movement" by the Zenith Cal. 3019 PHC/PHF - which is why that is called the "El Primero".

A very nice watch in excellent condition. Tragically, unlike in the case of the El Primero and the Valjoux 7750, when they intended to trash the remaining movements and the machinery on which it was made in the quartz crisis years, they actually DID trash everything! So, no more are made and will be made so that yours is probably a little more collectible than earlier El Primeros or Valjoux 7750 chronographs.

Hartmut Richter

#4 ·
The Heuer Autavias still command a pretty penny, probably more than yours would command even though, to me, they look to be almost the same watch. As I get to know things a little better I see some patterns. The same movement and essentially the same case can command a dramatically different price depending on the name on the dial. I picked up a Heuer Lemania 5100, made by Heuer, the Heuer model number on the back. But because the dial read Tourneau it went relatively cheap. (Tourneau, like Bucherer, is a jewelry chain that private labels watches.)

From what I can see, your Hamilton looks to be in excellent condition. I am only just getting into chronographs but I would think it a good catch.

#5 ·
Thanks very much for the comments guys. The watch is basically as new with the protective plastic on the case back. The comparison with the autavia is interesting as I was looking for one when I came across this. I haven't seen an autavia in the metal but the case and the fluted pushers on this watch look to be identical to those of the calibre 11 autavias I've seen in photos. I have a picture of the movement taken at the time of sale which you might be interested in.
Still curious about the 703 though.

Jem

Attachments

#7 ·
Well, they are both 2 dial chronographs.... after that they begin to differ. They are clearly not the same movements.

#8 ·
They are clearly not the same movements.
That is for sure! The Okeah is equipped with the Poljot 3133 (nee Valjoux 7733/7734). I was wondering more about the outside appearance than the movement. :think:

#9 ·
There were a lot of folks who made 2 dial chronos... a substantial number were fairly colorful. I can recall some Tissots and Heuers that looked like this. There are currently a few colorful 2 dials on the bay. I guess the balance of 2 subdials brings out the colorful artist in face designers.

#10 ·
There were a lot of folks who made 2 dial chronos... a substantial number were fairly colorful. I can recall some Tissots and Heuers that looked like this. There are currently a few colorful 2 dials on the bay. I guess the balance of 2 subdials brings out the colorful artist in face designers.
Here's my Seastar, needs a glass and pusher cap:roll: See my relevant post.

Attachments

#12 ·
One of the advantages of going to the NAWCC Library and doing archiving is getting info for my Hamilton data collection which I can share with you folks. I copied a 3 page typed document entitled "A Comparative List Of Hamilton Models and Factory Models". The date and origin of the list is unknown, but it lists the Hamilton 703 as being the same as an ESA 9154.

#14 ·
Very nice looking Hamilton chronograph. I've seen several dressy Hamilton watch models from the 1960's and 1970's that use Pan Europ brand name. I believe they are all of swiss manufacture or use a swiss automatic movement. The brand number probably has the same signifigance as model numbers used by other watch makers. Such as Tissot PRS 516, etc.

I've got a 1960's Invicta with a brand name Eurostar, so there is some similarity in the model name. Watch companies seem to follow one another's lead at times, as with the Omega Seamaster leading the way for many other models with nautical themed names. So there may be other companies that followed Hamilton and incorporated Euro, Europ or Europe when naming watch models.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.