Hamilton Gordon Wrist Watch Info ?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Giotime
  • 1 Post By bsshog40

Thread: Hamilton Gordon Wrist Watch Info ?

Hamilton Gordon Wrist Watch Info ?

I was just wondering if any one knew the difference between the 982 m with the gold medallion and one like this with just an M inscribed on the movement?

Thanks
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Hamilton Gordon Wrist Watch Info ?

There was a time when I researched this and knew the answer. I cannot find my source so do not assume this is gospel. From what I can remember, the 982M and the 982 with the Medallion are the same mechanism. The 982M ( no medallion) came later and was basically a cost saving not to place the gold symbol. I do not know dates. I would also be happy to hear from anyone with a definitive answer.
    mikmis likes this.

Has that been redialed? Looks like some of the hour markers are crooked
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
    Has that been redialed? Looks like some of the hour markers are crooked
    I'm not sure,I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out.They do seem to be misaligned to me too.It belongs to a good friend of mine I'll have to let him know.I can't tell if the print looks good I'm not very familiar with how this dial should look but there is some ware of the dial paint under the bezel.Could it be an older redial or maybe the markers came lose at some point?

I just checked it with a few others and it does seem like it has been redialed.
    Last edited by mikmis; June 9th, 2017 at 06:30.

Looks like a nice watch. Someone took good care of it also. Looks like over a half dozen service marks. I'm also thinking that the markers are not original to the watch either. It just looks odd to me that the 3, 9 & 12 markers cross over the line. I would think they would have been more uniformed to the other markers.
    mikmis likes this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Agree that this has been redialed... 'Hamilton' is looking a bit off too. However, in looking at the image on page 53 of Bruce Shawkey's book, it looks like it was done correctly and done well. The indices are (or should be) riveted on and could be rotated into correct alignment.

In contrast to Giotime, Bruce's book also discusses the 982 M vs. the regular 982. The M models apparently start showing up in 1940, were basically the same as the regular 982 (introduced 1935) but were finished at a higher degree and reserved (mostly) for solid gold cases.

Information on the case maker can be found here.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Agree that this has been redialed... 'Hamilton' is looking a bit off too. However, in looking at the image on page 53 of Bruce Shawkey's book, it looks like it was done correctly and done well. The indices are (or should be) riveted on and could be rotated into correct alignment.

In contrast to Giotime, Bruce's book also discusses the 982 M vs. the regular 982. The M models apparently start showing up in 1940, were basically the same as the regular 982 (introduced 1935) but were finished at a higher degree and reserved (mostly) for solid gold cases.

Information on the case maker can be found here.
    Just to clarify my earlier post: I was not comparing a 982 with a 982 M. Absolutely the 982 came earlier and the 982 M was later and an upgrade . My comparison was between the 2 versions of the 982M. I thought this was what the OP was referring to. Some versions of the 982 M have a gold stamp (very cool looking ). The other version of the 982M,as in the OP's , just has a capital M, but no gold stamp medallion. It is (was) my understanding that these 2 are the same. Based on serial numbers it appears that the no gold stamp version came later.

Quote Originally Posted by Giotime View Post
    My comparison was between the 2 versions of the 982M.
    Thanks. Now I learned something.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Thanks for the information Jack And Giotime!! This was purchased by a friend of mine who bought it with a lot of jewelry and coins.I was the first one to open it and it was exciting to see it was solid gold.He does a lot of business this way and I think there is a good chance for finding some great watches.I'm just having fun being able to identify them for him.

Thread Information