Hamilton Masterpiece!

Thread: Hamilton Masterpiece!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hamilton Masterpiece!

I have the opportunity to purchase a Hamilton masterpiece Thin-o-matic for $200. It's 10k Gold with a sweep center hand....beautiful minute/second markings and is in excellent condition. Does anyone have any experience with these? There is also an older looking Hamilton with a very clean dial (no markings except "Hamilton") and a sub seconds register with tear droped lugs. This is beautiful also for $200. I don't have pics and this all the info I can offer. What does everyone think? Any help is appreciated!!

Re: Hamilton Masterpiece!

Certainly a good price but it's hard to advise you online. Thin-o-matics are Swiss made Hamiltons but were made when Hamilton was still based in Lancaster Pa. Hamilton didn't make automatic watches in the USA.
    The older one sounds like an all-American Hamilton. However without pics or model info I really can't advise you. Do you know the seller well enough to trust him/her?

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Ray - Thanks for your response. I've dealt with this watchmaker before, I bought a watch from him and had a watch serviced as well. I also referred friend sand family members to him and they were happy. The older Hammy has beautiful dropped lugs that are rather pronounced. 12, 3, 6 and 9 are marked with raised numbers - the other hour markers are raised dots. These hour markings flollow a double black ring around the edge of the silver dial with a sub seconds at the 6. Maybe this sounds like a prticular model you can recall? Wow, I have a decision to make!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'll look in my Shugart and see or if JohnF reads this maybe he can too. It's really hard to identify without pics though. I assume the older Hamilton is a circular dial. That would date it to the early 1950s probably.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi -

That's really, really, realllly little to go on.

If the Thin-O-Matic is really 10k (not plated 10k, but rather 10k solid) then the price is not out of line, given the price of gold: if it is plated, then it's on the high side.

The Thin-O-Matics family uses the Buren micro-rotor calibre which was made starting in 1957, and is rather nice, given that it is basically the first of the micro-rotor calibres. The micro-rotor is an automatic watch that dedicates a certain area of the back of the watch for a small automatic rotor, one that usually winds with a fairly poor efficiency (the rotor weight is proportionally greater than a full-back rotor, but remains overall lighter than the equivalent full-back rotor, meaning that less rotational energy can be transformed into the winding of the mainspring for the same random movement of the calibre) but is perfectly adequate for the job. It just takes longer to fully wind the watch.

Hamilton purchased Buren in order to bring out the first automatic chronograph, also based on a microrotor design, but internal squabbling and distraction with their electric watches led to Zenith being able to grab this claim to fame.

But like I said, without pictures and more info - like exactly which calibre is inside the watch - then ir's basically impossible to give you any more input...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Hey guys - thanks for the posts. I figured out the "mystery" hammy. It's a Parker "B".

OK for those members who may wish to know a Parker B is a very nice 22 jewel Hamilton with 14K hour markers that sold for $95 new in 1957. That is about $2000 today, believe it or not.
    A watch like that would compete head to head with a 1950s Omega in quality.

Wow, Ray - I'm looking at $200 not serviced for the Parker "B". Now, the sub seconds register is worn and the dial shows a little age but nothing to distract from the beauty. Would this be a winner over the Masterpiece Thin-o-matic that's in almost mint condition?

:thanks

Not my place to tell you what you would like, unfortunately. My own preference is for all-American Hamiltons. However if you want an auto that's not possible, so.....???
    They are both great watches. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by JGorbe View Post
    Wow, Ray - I'm looking at $200 not serviced for the Parker "B". Now, the sub seconds register is worn and the dial shows a little age but nothing to distract from the beauty. Would this be a winner over the Masterpiece Thin-o-matic that's in almost mint condition?

:thanks
    Hey John, eB seller clint16 has a mint condition restored Parker B at auction right now. The movement is a Hamilton 770 though, not a microrotor.

Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information