Hamilton Military Watch GG-W-113 (Vietnam War???)
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hamilton Military Watch GG-W-113 (Vietnam War???)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hamilton Military Watch GG-W-113 (Vietnam War???)

Hello guys!! I just wonder if this watch is genuine or a combined watch you find on ebay. I will be drawing the deal by this weekend, please give me advise. Thank you for much!!!! If this cost USD$200, is it too much?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Hamilton Military Watch GG-W-113 (Vietnam War???)

One has to be very careful with this type of watch. I live in Vietnam and there are literally thousands of similar watches, with various degrees of "ageing" applied, in the markets. Some are brand spanking new, some look beat up and old. However, like the thousands of supposedly "GI" Zippo lighters, most (all?) are not even Franken but all out fakes. I know one guy with about 20, all with the same serial number. Also keep in mind that the date on "your" watch is 1976 so it could not have actually been in Vietnam since the evacuation of Saigon was in April, 1975. Finally, I spent a year in the US Army in Vietnam from 1967-1968 and never, ever, saw a watch like this on any serviceman. Personally, I'd steer clear.

The GG-W-113 watches were issued to pilots, and should have a "hack" feature (the second hand stops when you pull out the crown) to allow precise synchronization. The dial, hands and case of this one look correct for the type; I can't tell from picture, but I assume its a Hamilton 649 movement. The shock-protection looks odd though.; you can download the actual specification here: GG-W-113 A - WATCH WRIST

$200 seems a lot considering the condition of the dial and hands.
    redcow likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by redcow View Post
    One has to be very careful with this type of watch. I live in Vietnam and there are literally thousands of similar watches, with various degrees of "ageing" applied, in the markets. Some are brand spanking new, some look beat up and old. However, like the thousands of supposedly "GI" Zippo lighters, most (all?) are not even Franken but all out fakes. I know one guy with about 20, all with the same serial number. Also keep in mind that the date on "your" watch is 1976 so it could not have actually been in Vietnam since the evacuation of Saigon was in April, 1975. Finally, I spent a year in the US Army in Vietnam from 1967-1968 and never, ever, saw a watch like this on any serviceman. Personally, I'd steer clear.
    Thank you! I will definitely ask more details particularly how he managed to get such a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    The GG-W-113 watches were issued to pilots, and should have a "hack" feature (the second hand stops when you pull out the crown) to allow precise synchronization. The dial, hands and case of this one look correct for the type; I can't tell from picture, but I assume its a Hamilton 649 movement. The shock-protection looks odd though.; you can download the actual specification here: GG-W-113 A - WATCH WRIST

Thank you!!! I didn't realise this is actually a pilot watch. What price should I counter him considering this condition? What kind of maintenance should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post

Thanks for pointing out the difference between the GG-W-113 A Pilot's watch and the more common 46374 field version. How long were these made for the US military? I've heard at least until the late 80s. Come to think of it, does the US military still issue watches?

According to this: MIL-W-46374D •A Major Expansion
    The GG-W-113 spec got rolled into version 4 of the w-46374 spec in 1986, so a type-1 W-46374 is equivalent to an older GG-W-113. So technically, they're still being made.
    The 46374 spec cot radically changed again in 1999 when it became a "Performance" spec (PRF-46374G) instead of a manufacturing spec.

As far as i know, watches are still issued as required.
    redcow likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I would be very wary of that one. The movement is an ETA Cal. 2801 which is the basis for the bog standard automatic ETA 2824 and is still made today. It was apparently released in 1971 (Ranfft) so it might just have made it to the Vietnam war but IMO the chances are not great.....

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: ETA 2801

Hartmut Richter

I think the fact that is has an issue date of 1976 pretty much kills any vietnam war connection...

Just joined this forum after reading various posts for weeks. Caught this thread while doing my own research on a similar eBay find. Like AbslomRob and RedCow said, it's highly doubtful that the watch actually saw combat due to the date, but the "Vietnam Era" is probably just used in the marketing as a reference to the time period (or the guy selling it just doesn't know his history/is full of ....). It may have been standard pilot issue, or it could have been sold at the base exchange. I was in the service and "affordable but reliable" is what rings the register for AAFES. Either way, there are a ton of these for sale on eBay, and I'm looking at a nicer one on auction with a "buy it now" price of $225.

If I got my facts straight Hamilton was based in Lancaster, PA until production stopped in 1980, when they were bought by ETA and moved to Switzerland. My guess is a pre-1980 piece might be worth something as a collector's piece (especially if the movements are actual made in the USA/Hamilton), but not for it's "combat" use. Hamilton still makes a very similar style as their "Khaki" line. Speaking as an Army veteran, I think anyone who buys an overpriced ($500 and up) swatch made to look like a vintage pilot's watch needs to get up close and personal with the butt end of an M16A2, but that's just me. Even as a collector's piece, there probably isn't much value if indeed there were a lot of them made, as I suspect there were, but if you like the watch (it is good looking), and aren't looking to flip it, go for it, especially if it works and you plan to wear it for years. The "nuclear tested" does add a touch of novelty and conversation value. It's the kind of thing I like to wear at the poker table to distract my opponents. And at least it's real military issue/base exchange sold, as opposed to hipster doofus gear.

Watch out for fakes, like the man said, especially sellers in Asia (I spotted at least one guy in PRC trying to pawn off a fugazi). Make sure to see the stampings on the back, and be wary of any deal that seems too good to be true.
    H3RRINGTON likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information