Hamilton Pacer - My grandfather's last watch
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Hamilton Pacer - My grandfather's last watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hamilton Pacer - My grandfather's last watch

Found this recently while visiting my grandmother. My grandfather's Hamilton Pacer. It was the last watch he bought before he lost his site. It was purchased in Bowling Green VA, in the mid 60s and according to my grandmother "it broke the bank, but he was so proud of it". It probably hasn't run in 40 years. The band is some sort of Speidel expanding bracelet. We're not sure if that was original.

I'm thinking of sending it to Rene Rondeau for a checkup and cleanup...

Anyone know how you open the back on a pacer, or how if you can tell if it's a 505 or 500 movement without opening it (I read that the case changed to accommodate the new movement) I would guess this is a 505 based on the time it was purchased.

Name:  hamilton_pacer_primary_photo copy.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  251.0 KB

Anyhow, pretty cool! I also found some of my great-grandfather's pocket watches, 2 of which have serial numbers dating to 1898 and still worked.

B
    Shum, JP71624, busmatt and 2 others like this.

Re: Hamilton Pacer - My grandfather's last watch

I just love these Electric watches that were the future before the future came and ruined it.

That dial is just wonderful and at the same time you see that the watch has been well used.
    marks55 and howards4th like this.

The band isn't original as it has curved endlinks but it still looks ok. I love the look of the Pacers/Venturas and yours is quite nice, wear it well.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One of the cooler models, for sure!
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

Your watch has "Pat. Pending" at the bottom. I'm pretty sure it would be the earlier Grade 500. Good idea to send to Rene. Won't be cheap to fix, but well worth the price. I think he also has reproductions of the original 2-tone straps. Might as well get one of those while it is out there.

Good luck with the restoration.
    gatorcpa

Nice watch!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    Your watch has "Pat. Pending" at the bottom. I'm pretty sure it would be the earlier Grade 500. Good idea to send to Rene. Won't be cheap to fix, but well worth the price. I think he also has reproductions of the original 2-tone straps. Might as well get one of those while it is out there.

Good luck with the restoration.
    gatorcpa
    Interesting! I sent a pic to Rene a few days back and he pointed out my dial had been refinished. The arrowheads at 1,2,4,5 etc should point out not in.

I'll have to decide if I restore the dial to correct or keep it as my grandfather wore it... Regardless I'll bring it back to running.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rene has the watch now, and gatorcpa was right, it is an earlier 500 model. I'm leaning towards a full dial refinish as it appears on research to be a poorly done refinish... But on the other hand it would be less the watch my grandfather looked at... Tough decision, as far as watch things go!

The movement was in pretty good condition so that's nice.

I'll post pics when I get it back in a few months.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back from Rene! I decided to restore the dial after talking with Rene and my grandmother. Rene said it was common to refinish dials when doing other service and my grandmother remembered an incident where the watch was damaged while my grandfather was up working on a power line. So I decided that restoring it would take it back to how it was when he first got the watch.

Rene installed a lizard strap which I think goes very nicely with the silver dial.

Going out for dinner tomorrow (no jeans, fancy!) so I'll be giving the watch its first outing in probably 40+ years!

B

--

Bb
    bobbee, James A, Paleotime and 2 others like this.

Nice one, and so very glad you sent it to René. Top man–looks a lovely job, as usual.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information