Hamilton pocket watch, circa 1905

Thread: Hamilton pocket watch, circa 1905

Hamilton pocket watch, circa 1905

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone on here could help me get some more information on a Hamilton pocket watch I have. I recently had the balance staff fixed, and it runs great again, but finding anything about it on the internet seems difficult, I dont think I know the right places to search!

It is a Hamilton grade 924 pocket watch, #449119, size 18. The faceplate has "W.A. Ferguson Jewelers Kenora, Ont.". I was told it was manufactured in 1905.

I was curious as to how rare the custom faceplate like that is, as well as the overall rarity of the watch. I am looking to sell it, though I do not think this is the place to do that, I wanted to get some more info on its rarity first and maybe if anyone could hazard a guess as to its value?

Thank you to anyone who could comment on this!

Re: Hamilton pocket watch, circa 1905

What a watch's value is what someone will pay for it, really. Unfortunately WUS doesn't offer watch-evaluations.

From your post, I suppose the watch is in good, running condition, recently serviced and repaired and keeping good time, yes?

Is the watch also in good cosmetic condition? This will affect how much you can sell it for or hope to get for it on eBay.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

We do not do valuations here. But the watch is not especially rare. The jeweler name on the dial usually detracts from the value (unless it Tiffiny & Co.). Ebay will give you a good idea on the current market. Use the advanced search and look through the completed listings.

Good pictures and a good description are vital to getting a fair price.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

We don't give valuations here, please read our sticky notes for reasons why.
    Hamilton made a nice pocket watch and their grade 924 is a good large mid grade model - 18S 17 jewels. It's not railroad grade so it isn't of major interest to collectors.
    It was fairly common 100 years ago for local jewelers to case the movement in one of their own cases with their store's name on the dial. Probably a Hamilton dial would be of more interest unless you come from Kenora.
    You can find similar pieces on eBay which will give you an idea of what they sell for but it's surprisingly little, given the workmanship that went into a watch like this.
    Most of the time we just recommend you keep the watch and pass it on to a family member who may like it.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

The 924 was about the lowest grade size 18 17 jewel watch that Hamilton made. That is not meant to be a put-down of the watch, just a statement of the fact that Hamilton sold it at a lower price because little effort was put into adjusting the 924. Compared to a watch with more adjustments timekeeping would not be as good. Having a private label might make it more attractive to some collectors and less attractive to others. The other folks have commented on the valuation policy and I can only add that such a policy is universal on watch related pages.

It's not a universal policy.

While researching a brand I stumbled accros a vintage dealer with a forum that DID offer valuations

IMO they totally lead to miscommunication though since there is a huge gap between replacement value and resale value and nobody was specifying which "value" they were talking about.

We simply don't want to get into any debate about value as our policy here is that watches are interesting first and valuable second.
    I've seen thousands of watches here by now, and I can probably count the really valuable ones on two hands. Even then we didn't try to estimate a price.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

[quote=Ray MacDonald;1326681...I've seen thousands of watches here by now, and I can probably count the really valuable ones on two hands. Even then we didn't try to estimate a price.[/quote]

The valuable ones always came to "a lot more than I can afford"
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Most of them were Pateks or V&C, or 18K gold Cartier/Tiffany with diamonds.

Thread Information