Hamilton Pocket watch help!

Thread: Hamilton Pocket watch help!

Hamilton Pocket watch help!

New to the forum and just had a few questions about this watch.

My father has had this watch for about 40 years and has always wanted to get it fixed up and appraised. Before doing so, we decided to get a little more info on the watch. We know its a Hamilton for sure, and that the hand wind still works, but the thing that perplexes us the most is the stamp of CBC right above the center of the hands and below the 12 marker.

Name:  watch 1.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  429.7 KBName:  watch 2.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  436.5 KBName:  watch 3.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  442.4 KB

Pictures are pretty bad due to being taken with my phone, but I hope they help a bit.

On the inside by the movement it is engraved with "Hamilton Watch Co. Lancaster , PA 17 Jewels"
    And on the inside of the back cover "Keystone Watchcase, Guaranteed J.Boss 20 years 5449858"

Thanks in advance. I hope I can get a little info on what the CBC means and maybe someone who knows a bit about the watch.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Hamilton Pocket watch help!

The movement looks to be a gr.974, although a serial number will determine that for sure.

The symbol on the dial looks to me a lot like the symbol for the Oddfellows fraternity(something that shows up with some frequency on watch dials) but the letters are not what I'm use to seeing(usually they're FLT). I don't know enough about the Oddfellows to know if those particular might still have some meaning inside the three circles or not.

Whatever the case...it's hard to see from your photos, but that marking appears to be the painted-on style that were often added at the time of sale by the jeweler.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Re: Hamilton Pocket watch help!

Thank you very much for your response! We ended up taking it to a jeweler who also confirmed that the symbol was put on after the fact, although he didn't say anything about the Oddfellows. He might not have known. I shall do some more research into the subject.

Thread Information