Hamilton St James
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By JustCurious
  • 1 Post By Watch Tim

Thread: Hamilton St James

Hamilton St James

Hi,

Very new to this, so apologies if this is the wrong forum. I wonder if someone can shed any light, here.

Only recently heard of Hamilton and picked one up on the bay for £85. A St James model. I looked them up and saw that all seemed to be GP, with a SS back. Yet this one had a gold back...curious.

Took it to watchmaker to get the bracelet reduced for my skinny wrist. He confirmed solid 9ct gold and English (not US) case. (Might this explain why it's 9ct, not 10ct?).
    Also has a useful ratchet setup on the bracelet, to allow adjustment.

Can't see any on the web. They are SS-backed and have different markers.

Anybody got any ideas?

Here's a pic and thanks in advance.

Name:  DSC_0042.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  836.6 KB
    JP71624 and tinknocker like this.

Re: Hamilton St James

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373378549.902734.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  123.4 KBhere's mine ....do you know the age of this model? Bad lighting in pic...dial is silver Ss case...super thin...great light summer watch...great to run into a fellow owner...or do they own us?!
    JP71624 likes this.

9kt cases almost always came from or were meant for the UK market. In the US, if the case is not at least 14kt it can not be sold as solid gold.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

In response to the age question...the shop's papers dated it to early 1971, so I guess made in 1970? The dial is white, slightly pearlescent.

The few I've found on the interweb look like yours - thinner batons and hands than mine (with a double baton at twelve) and either all SS or gold plated with SS back.

And the few comments I've found (here and on other fora) suggest a promotional model, perhaps made for a company called "St James". But there's really not much about the model, out there.

Agree it's very thin. Also like the ratchets on the bracelet (you can have it a fraction looser on a hot day.)

If I learn any more, I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

St James may also have been a jeweler. "Private label" watches with jeweler's names is an established tradition even if not done much now (except for the likes of Tiffany & Co.).
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hello, I saw your thread.

I have one of these (see picture) Name:  Hamilton St James.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  31.3 KB

This was left to me by my grandfather. He lived in London and was presented the watch upon retirement in 1965. As far as I am aware the strap is the one it came with. Unlike many versions I have seen, this appears only to say 'Swiss' under the '6' baton rather than 'Swiss Made' either side. There is also no 'H' on the winder.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

In response to the age question...the shop's papers dated it to early 1971, so I guess made in 1970? The dial is white, slightly pearlescent.

The few I've found on the interweb look like yours - thinner batons and hands than mine (with a double baton at twelve) and either all SS or gold plated with SS back.

And the few comments I've found (here and on other fora) suggest a promotional model, perhaps made for a company called "St James". But there's really not much about the model, out there.

Agree it's very thin. Also like the ratchets on the bracelet (you can have it a fraction looser on a hot day.)

If I learn any more, I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Thread Information