Hamilton Van Horn

Thread: Hamilton Van Horn

Hamilton Van Horn

Hi,
    Does anyone out there have a case weight for the Van Horn? I'm trying to figure out how much gold value is in the case--the darned watch runs and stops, runs and stops...I have had it serviced several times and vow not to spend any more money on it! If you jiggle the "cat whisker" contact wires with a toothpick, the watch will start running, but as soon as you put the caseback on it, stops again---aggravating!!! Thanks, Jack.

Re: Hamilton Van Horn

Don't scrap it, no one here would forgive you. Weigh with the works in it sell it. You will get a better price than scrap anyway. (I would pay better) Donor movements are not that hard to find.

Please don't kill it! We don't see many Hamilton Van Horn here, please post pictures. One source says that only about 13.500 were made. Hopefully Eeeb or someone else with knowledge of electrical watches can help you.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That is a high price watch worth more than the gold content.I have a Hamitlton RR electric same 505 movement as yours.I had the same problem as you you just got to find a good watch maker mine is running like a champ right now.Had to replace the clip for the battery those were hard to find otto frie was sold out and if they had them 25.00 bucks for one so flea bay got two clip's for 25.00 now I have a spare.It has a regulator for adjusting the time on the movement like a mechanical watch so you can adjust it to keep good time you know the 505 movement was one of the first to use a battery before the quartz movements.
    Last edited by river rat; January 29th, 2010 at 15:34.

*jaw-drop*

DO NOT SCRAP!!!

Watches are worth INFINITELY MORE complete, than they are as scrap-gold. For the gold, you might get a couple of hundred bucks at most...and after you've spent the money to extract the gold, you're probably working at a loss.

It is NOT worth scrapping the watch for it's gold. You'll regret it.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

The Van Horn was a fairly expensive watch, it cost $175 with its 14K gold case and numerals in 1958. You could buy a new US made car for under $2000 in 1958.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Here is what movement that's in the Van Horn

The 505 hamilton Electric movement.This is a old photo some one had the wrong battery in it you can see a spacer put on the battery so it would fit.I now have the right one that fit's.
    Last edited by river rat; January 29th, 2010 at 15:55.

Web photos...

Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

I've owned a couple of these. One of my favorite Hamilton case designs, but I had similar issues with one of mine. If you want a really good job getting it serviced (and the problem fixed), I'd say Rene Rondeau.

It would be a shame to scrap the case for gold despite the fact that there isn't a huge market for these electrics.
    You'd still do better selling it complete.
    "My grail showed up today"

I agree with everyone else....do not scrap it. Not sure who serviced it for you, i would send it to Rene Rondeau, he will make it like new

Thread Information