Hamilton vintage 10k gold pocket watch with second hand dial - any information?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eeeb

Thread: Hamilton vintage 10k gold pocket watch with second hand dial - any information?

Hamilton vintage 10k gold pocket watch with second hand dial - any information?

I received this beauty as a present from a relative.based on family history I am guessing 30s or 40s vintage. Anyone more knowledgeable have any insight on make, value and, or production year? Engraved 10 k gold model with working second had separate subdial. All cleaned good working order! Just looking for Any kind advice on origins and history, will hold this lovely.

thanks. CTK, Texas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Ctkjjk; December 17th, 2013 at 11:35.

Re: Hamilton vintage 10k gold pocket watch with second hand dial - any information?

The serial number dates to approximately 1920. I can not read the calibre (model) on the movement but it is a good one based on the adjustment level.

The case is most likely two 10kt thin sheets of gold sandwiching a plate of brass but pics of the hallmarks on the inside caseback would give good clues.

I hope that helps.

It is a very nice piece. Thanks for sharing and welcome to WUS!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Hamilton vintage 10k gold pocket watch with second hand dial - any information?

That is a 992, one of the classic 21j railroad grade movements.

I suspect that the case may be a bit newer than the movement.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you both very much! I am going to do more research on the Hamilton 992. Appreciate it!!

You gents were spot on, it is a Hamilton 21 jewel, model 992, says Double Roller. The case back does say 10k plated, and reads "Keystone Watch case". Works well when wound, recently serviced.

i assume my most important steps are not to over wind, keep it clean and oiled, and wind it every now and again. Any maintenance tips also greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctkjjk View Post
    You gents were spot on, it is a Hamilton 21 jewel, model 992, says Double Roller. The case back does say 10k plated, and reads "Keystone Watch case". Works well when wound, recently serviced.

i assume my most important steps are not to over wind, keep it clean and oiled, and wind it every now and again. Any maintenance tips also greatly appreciated.
    If you are going to wear it (and there is no reason not to... it is fine watch that will keep as good time as modern watches) then get a chain. These watches mostly die because they get dropped.

Don't worry about overwinding. You will know when it is fully wound. You will notice a pronounced difference in the winding effort and will have to get a pair of pliers to keep winding it -- which you obviously should NOT do!

Service it every five to seven years or when you notice it no longer keeps good time.

And enjoy it! It is a functional heirloom!!
    Paleotime likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information