Hampden Diadem

Thread: Hampden Diadem

Hampden Diadem

Okay, this is my last post today...

This is a ladies Hampden Diadem pocket watch. I have found a little bit of information but not enough to try and date. Again, any info is appreciated. I am also curious about the Canton, OH marking, and the history behind that. Mainly because my wife is from Canton, but I like to know the story behind things like this too.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Hampden Diadem

I can't read the serial number, but I think it is a 15j 3/0 size Model 3. With the serial number it can be dated. Does it have a Dueber case? In 1886 John C. Dueber bought the Hampden Watch Co in Springfield Mass. In 1888 he moved the company to a new factory in Canton Ohio where it was in operation until 1930/1931 when it closed and all equipment and machinery was sold to the Soviet Union.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    I can't read the serial number, but I think it is a 15j 3/0 size Model 3. With the serial number it can be dated. Does it have a Dueber case? In 1886 John C. Dueber bought the Hampden Watch Co in Springfield Mass. In 1888 he moved the company to a new factory in Canton Ohio where it was in operation until 1930/1931 when it closed and all equipment and machinery was sold to the Soviet Union.
    Thanks!

The serial number is 1341243. Is there an online resource for Hampden serial numbers?

The case is 14k with a W inside what looks like a shield.

Canton, OH is also inscribed on the movement which, based on your post, would at least date it after 1888.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The serial number will date it to about 1900. There is an online lookup for Hampden, but it will say this is a Molly Stark, which it is not. Reason is the entire serial number range 1341001 to 1342000 has been registered as Molly Stark (and most of them probably were), but Hernick/Arnold's Hampden book shows example of a different grade within this range, a 15j 3/0 size Model 3 as mentioned.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Thread Information