Hampden Pocket Watch - Your Help Please

Thread: Hampden Pocket Watch - Your Help Please

Hampden Pocket Watch - Your Help Please

My parents gave me this Heirloom for Christmas. I am overjoyed that I will be the safe keeper of this family timepiece, and it is a truly special surprise. I am turning to my fellow WIS because I am clueless about vintage watches!

I believe it was my Grandfathers Fathers watch. I am no expert but after some research maybe this watch is dated around the turn of the century?

The number on the case is 1791003.

The case has beautiful detail – front and back – the engravings appear to be leaves. With some sort of badge or symbol in the center. Depending on the light, the hands are an attractive steel blue color. And the numerals on the dial are fancy.

The watch is in need of some serious TLC. It does not run, the hands are bent, (Second hand is gone), the glass crystal is gone, and the case clasp has snapped.

Who can you guys recommend to fully restore this? Is there anything special about the production of this watch (Common / Uncommon?) I wonder if it will ever run again.

Pics Below

Thanks!

Re: Hampden Pocket Watch - Your Help Please

The number on the case probably isn't useful; you'd need to get the number off the plates under the caseback. A couple of pictures of the movment would help immensely!

Based on what we <can> see, it's a nice looking watch. The triple-sunk dial is usually an indication of good quality, as is the use of multiple colors of what I assume is gold on the case. However, looks <can> be deceiving; since cases and watches were purchased seperately, it wouldn't be unusual for someone to buy the most expensive case he could, and then put a cheap movment in it.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

We need the serial number off the movement and also a picture of the movement itself for precise ID. Hampden records are available, but case serial numbers are useless for ID purposes.
    Check here for possible watch repair facilities in your area:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=166630
    The dial is a nice one and may indicate a good movement but we really need to see a picture to be sure.
    Pocket watches can be repaired usually if they aren't badly rusted and worn. However it'll likely cost more than the watch is worth to fix it. Since this is a family heirloom that probably isn't a concern.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

^ Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I think thats a great start. I just emailed a restorer a few miles away from me. Hopefully they will be able to help

Thread Information