Hampden pocketwatch information

Thread: Hampden pocketwatch information

Hampden pocketwatch information

Hello all,

I promised a friend I would pick the collective brain and get as much information on this watch that he inherited. It is in amazingly good condition as you can see from the photos. I assume that the serial number on the movement is the one that shows up on the Hampden serial # list, but I wonder what the relevance is of the number on the case. Anyway, I look forward to hearing back from you WISe folks and my friend is probably even more so. Thanks in advance.

I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

Re: Hampden pocketwatch information

Wow, that is just gorgeous!

My Hamilton pocket watch has a serial number on the movement, and the case (made by Wadsworth) has a different serial number. Both numbers date to 1927. Maybe your friend's watch has a similar connection between case and movement numbers.

Obviously, more informed information is still to come. :)

It is a 18 size Hampden grade 31 model 2 from 1886, 11 jewel unadjusted. Total production of this grade was 35800. Gilowsky's Standard refers to the private label, Hampden supplied to many private label companies and this one was based in Milwaukee Wisconsin. They have reportedly also used a 15j version of Hampden model 2. The Dueber case is marked 14K as far as I can see. If the anchor below the 'Dueber' marking is raised it is solid gold. If the anchor is engraved it is gold filled. Case serial numbers are not useful for traceability.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the feedback gentlemen. Erik I especially appreciate the great concision and thoroughness of information. This is what I really like about WUS - I post a question, go to bed, and have answers by morning
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

Thread Information