Hand replaced on PW-Now it doesn't run. What happened?

Thread: Hand replaced on PW-Now it doesn't run. What happened?

Hand replaced on PW-Now it doesn't run. What happened?

I took my grandfather's Waltham PW in to have the minutes hand replaced, as it had fallen off. The watch ran great before I took it in (even ran another day after the hand fell off).

I picked it up from the watchmaker, and now it stops running after a couple of minutes. I tried opening up the case and re-closing it again, figuring perhaps something was binding, but it still doesn't work.

So I'm wondering, what could have happened? I'll be taking it back it on Tuesday, when they open again, but am wondering what possibly could have gone wrong. The watch had been keeping great time for months before this, with a power reserve that lasted for about 36 hours or more.

Here's the watch:

138_0650 by JFK3531, on Flickr

Waltham 17j Movement by JFK3531, on Flickr

Joe

Re: Hand replaced on PW-Now it doesn't run. What happened?

I'm thinking the second hand is binding. A quick test would be to unscrew the bezel, and take the hand off again, and see how it runs. Also you will be able to see if the pivot for the second hand is straight and centred in the hole. Sometimes dial feet can get bent or the case suffers a shock, or possibly the pivot (fourth wheel) is bent. If the watch still doesn't run properly with the second hand off, you have other issues. Has the watch been serviced recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Outta Time View Post
    Has the watch been serviced recently?
    It was last serviced about 4-5 years ago. I know it will need servicing again soon, but as I said it was running great until I took it in.

Joe

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Update-Now it's running...

So I opened the face, and although the movement seemed seated all the way, took the movement out and re-seated it. Replaced the face. It then ran all day just fine.

I took it back to the watchmaker today, explained what happened, and asked them to check it out, and also to service it.

Thanks for the advice.

Joe

-Update-

Got the watch back from the jeweler. Was told they did a "major overhaul", but wouldn't specify what that entailed (the actual watchmaker wasn't in that day, the counter help just read the ticket).

Somewhat unsatisfying, but I paid my bill and the watch is running well now.
    Joe

Thread Information