Has anybody seen something like this before?

Thread: Has anybody seen something like this before?

Has anybody seen something like this before?

And so can identify it? Comes from another board (here), is the first vintage watch that got me interested, due to the unusual dial graduation. No markings whatsoever. Probably a stopwatch with a 300 * 1/5 sec main scale and 30 min totalizer?
    Anyone seen one of these before? Came from the estate sale of an ex RN guy. Movement ID? Approx. date?
    Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any input.

Pics below:

Last edited by cnmark; November 25th, 2006 at 07:09.

Re: Has anybody seen something like this before?

Hi -

My guess - and it is only a guess - is based on the ownership. It *could* be a torpedo timing stopwatch: I remember reading - don't know when, don't know where - that the first serious work on torpedos led to torpedos that had a running time of 5 minutes. That was the maximum time they would run with the fuel on board (at something like close to 20 knots, which back then (just before WW1) was fairly fast (today lots of container ships could simply outrun a torpedo of this speed, since they cruise at more than 25 knots).

Hence the 5 minute/300 seconds markings. If you look at the gear wheel that drives the central post (it's the one to the northwest of the center of the watch) you can see that it appears to be almost smooth: I'm guessing that there are three hundred teeth on that gear wheel, meaning that the "seconds" hand doesn't do 360° every minute, but rather ever 300 seconds.

The gear wheel directly underneath the center of the watch, overlapping the balance wheel bridge, seems to have 40 teeth (at least I was able to count 20 on half of the visible gear, but the picture doesn't show adequate detail to get a decent count. But that subdial isn't a totalizer: it counts backwards, i.e. 30 to 0, not 0 to 30!

It's almost certainly not WW2, as torpedo stopwatches from this time period had not only time, but also ranges marked on the watch face so that the user could also see how far the torpedo had traveled in that time.

I googled a bit and the basis calibre is almost certainly british. But that's all I can say with any sort of certainty.

Looks to be a very nice special-purpose stopwatch, dial is in beautiful condition.
    JohnF
    Last edited by JohnF; November 25th, 2006 at 11:20. Reason: Remembered something...
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Lovely - does remind me of a stopwatch I saw at one of the US Naval museums.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think you are correct in your analysis, John.
    I often wondered how Adm. Jellicoe could turn a whole fleet of heavy and slow battleships to run away from the torpedoes launched by the Germans at the Battle of Jutland.
    I guess the fact that torpedo technology was so crappy in WW1 is the answer to that. Makes you wonder how the U-boats were able to sink ocean liners like the Lusitania.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks for all the input, forwarded it to the OP.:thanks

Thread Information