Has anyone ever heard of an Eureka pocket watch?

Thread: Has anyone ever heard of an Eureka pocket watch?

Has anyone ever heard of an Eureka pocket watch?

Hello everybody,

Thanks for all your replies to my previous post. I've just started collecting pocket watches, and recently received an "Eureka" pocket watch in the mail from ebay. I've tried looking this company up online, but haven't found anything at all about them. The dial is labeled "Eureka Registered" and the inside of the hinged case back says "Eureka Timekeeper". Neither phrase shows up at all on Google except for 1 ebay auction for what looks like the same watch as mine, which says it's a Swiss made watch from the late 1800s to early 1900s.

The watch is size 18s, crown-wound and pin-set. It has a glass dust cover in the back to show off the mechanism. The movement is unlabeled; the balance wheel has no weights and I can't see any obvious jewels (most visible gears seem to pivot on metal pins, and the balance wheel seems to pivot on a clear, non-colored glass bead). There are also a couple of exposed rods at the 10 o'clock and 5 o'clock position in the movement that don't seem to be supporting anything.

Has anyone heard of this company, or knows what sort of movement I have?

It's sort of a funny story. The watch was described as working in the auction, but when I received it, it wound but won't tick. However, I bumped it while (unsuccessfully) trying to pry open the dust cover, and the watch started ticking and keeping decent time. It lost about 2 minutes per day dial up, but seemed to keep better time crown up, so I started carrying it around in my shirt pocket to see if it would be more accurate that way. I apparently bumped it again doing this while walking around, and now it's stopped dead (seconds hand included) exactly on the stroke of midnight.

I figure it just needs a service and cleaning, but I thought I'd try to learn more about it before spending the $100 or so to get that done. If it's an older metal-bearing watch I think I'll just leave it as it is as an amusing curiousity (it's not often you get a watch stopped dead on midnight down to the second).

Name:  eureka.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  22.8 KB

Re: Has anyone ever heard of an Eureka pocket watch?

Hi -

Sorry to have seen this first now, sorry for the delay...

First of all, welcome to the forum!

As you've noticed, there are no jewels. The intermittent operation points to probably need for cleaning and lubrication, especially important for a watch that has no jeweled bearings.

It's an inexpensive pin movement, and even if you find someone who is willing to work on it , it's scarcely a good way to spend money. I'd keep it simply as an example of how a watch can be built...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Several eurekas listed here:

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php/280/letter_E
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the information, guys. I guess I'll just leave it as it is, then. It's still a cool piece, especially with the glass dust cover, even if it doesn't run anymore.

Thread Information