has anyone ever heard of the ohio watch co?

Thread: has anyone ever heard of the ohio watch co?

has anyone ever heard of the ohio watch co?

hi gang has anyone ever heard of the ohio watch co? its an 18 size ks kw any info appcreated thanks charlie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: has anyone ever heard of the ohio watch co?

There is no listing of such a company in Schugart's book, probably another "Swiss fake".

While so-called "Swiss fakes" get no respect and are not considered valuable, there are folks out there that do consider them collectible.

Hi -

It's not mentioned as such in Shugart's Complete Price Guide to Watches, which at 1200+ pages is pretty definitive. Doesn't mean that the company didn't exist or anything, but it means that either there were so few made that they're not out there on the market, or that there is virtually nothing known about the company and its watches...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This dealer lists one as 'by Waltham'.

http://www.angelikawesterhoffantique...?usage=jewelry
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Hi -

After Marrick's post I took a second look. There is no explicit mention by Waltham of an "Ohio Watch Company" as customer/custom watch, and the records here are quite good in terms of watches that American Waltham made for jewelers and the like.

I took a long look at the Waltham calibres and this one doesn't match. It's close to a couple, but the microadjustment that characterized such period Walthams is not only missing here, but is in the wrong place to boot: key wind Walthams had their microadjustment mechanisms on the balance bridge, not off to the side.

Hence I'd tend to agree with Ron in Pa: not a "real" American watch, but rather Swiss. The link from Marrick doesn't show the movement...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

hi thanks gang the info is appreciated i think i will use the case and shelf the movement until a later date
    thanks again
    charlie

Residing in Ohio has kept me pretty conversant with it's watch companies. I know of no Ohio Watch Company. Some of Gruen's Columbus Watch Co watches carried prominent display of Ohio, but the movements all were clearly marked Columbus. And, from what I can see, the case does not look like any associated with Columbus Watch Co.

The movement is pretty primitive for most Ohio watches... if made in Ohio it would have had to been right after the Civil War.

I concur with the consensus, a Swiss fake - probably playing on the reputation of Ohio as a watch making center.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

According to this site Ohio Watch was one of the Swiss Fake company names.

http://www.andydunn.name/HorologicalHistory.htm

My copy of Shugart p 94 (No.23 - 2003) has an Ohio Watch Co. fake made by Ernst Borel and distributed by Leon Lesquereaux of Columbus OH.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; September 29th, 2008 at 01:24.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

It is on p.98 of No 28 - 2008 ... Interesting. It is the same movement from appearances.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information