Has anyone ever seen this dial before

Thread: Has anyone ever seen this dial before

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12

    Has anyone ever seen this dial before

    Hello. This Elgin was bought for my grandfather by his father in 1922 as a wedding gift. It was given to me on Christmas day. It means the world to me. I'm trying to learn about it. I've never seen one with this dial. Does anyone recognize this exact dial? I've heard that jewelers would have other dials, sometimes made by other companies, that they could put on a watch if the customer didn't like the factory installed dial. Does anyone know if this watch came from the factory with this dial? It's a 1922 Elgin grade 315 size 12. Thank you so much!

    Steve.

    [Image removed by stevenwr]
    Last edited by stevenwr; January 31st, 2007 at 04:02.

  2. #2
    Member Ray MacDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Almonte ON Canada
    Posts
    23,771

    Re: Has anyone ever seen this dial before

    I haven't seen this particular dial but I would think it's probably an original factory made Elgin one, given the time of manufacture. This was at a time when the metal painted watch dial was taking over from the older enamel (black/white) one and so two-tone and early art deco motifs would be all the rage. You have a very handsome penknife fob to go with it.
    All in all quite a lovely heirloom and thanks for posting the picture. A "Great Gatsby" style of watch to be sure.

    There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12

    Re: Has anyone ever seen this dial before

    Hi, Ray.

    Thanks for the compliments on the watch and the fob. By the way, if you have any information on the fob, I'd love to hear it. I don't know anything about it, other than the fact that my grandfather used it to clean his fingernails. I don't know if it was bought with the watch or not.

    Thanks again.

    Steve.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Ray MacDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Almonte ON Canada
    Posts
    23,771

    Re: Has anyone ever seen this dial before

    Well obviously a fob can be used to hold on to with one hand while you hold the watch in the other, or to pull the watch out out of your pocket. Most guys wore a vest with the watch in one pocket and the fob in the other with the chain in between. But I'm sure you know that already.
    Your fob looks like it might feature a combination of knife and watch case opener but I can't be sure. Does the watch case have some sort of hinged cover over the movement?
    I would be almost certain the fob and chain came new with the watch, as nobody buying a new pocket watch as a gift would neglect the chain/fob.

    There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12

    Re: Has anyone ever seen this dial before

    Hi, Ray.

    Wow, that's really neat that the fob and chain might also be original to the watch.

    The watch does not have hinged cover. The bezel and back both screw on and off the case.

    The fob has a small knife on one side, and on the other side is a long, slender thing with a serrated edge, like a small file. By the way, on the loop of the knife, it says "GOLD TOP" so I assume it's gold fill like the watch.

    Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

    Steve.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Well obviously a fob can be used to hold on to with one hand while you hold the watch in the other, or to pull the watch out out of your pocket. Most guys wore a vest with the watch in one pocket and the fob in the other with the chain in between. But I'm sure you know that already.
    Your fob looks like it might feature a combination of knife and watch case opener but I can't be sure. Does the watch case have some sort of hinged cover over the movement?
    I would be almost certain the fob and chain came new with the watch, as nobody buying a new pocket watch as a gift would neglect the chain/fob.

  7. #6
    Member WNUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    2,398

    Re: Has anyone ever seen this dial before

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenwr View Post
    Hello. This Elgin was bought for my grandfather by his father in 1922 as a wedding gift. It was given to me on Christmas day. It means the world to me. I'm trying to learn about it. I've never seen one with this dial. Does anyone recognize this exact dial? I've heard that jewelers would have other dials, sometimes made by other companies, that they could put on a watch if the customer didn't like the factory installed dial. Does anyone know if this watch came from the factory with this dial? It's a 1922 Elgin grade 315 size 12. Thank you so much!
    Steve.
    Hi, Elgin did use that style of dial in the early 1900's. Usually from about 1915 to the late 20's. By style, I mean the center circle. It could be a scene, like your's or just an imprinted or indented circle. Other watch companies did the same.
    I had one somewhat like it, but sold it. Otherwise I'd show you a pic of what I mean.
    I believe it's original...IMHO
    Hope this helps a little.
    regards, Dave
    PS - That watch movement (your watch) was made from 1903 until 1939. 1,033,900 were made. It has 15 Jewels.
    Last edited by WNUT; January 6th, 2007 at 19:32. Reason: added PS
    Regards, Dave



  8. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12

    Re: Has anyone ever seen this dial before

    Hi, WNUT.

    Thanks for the information. I've seen lots of Elgins with the center circle, many with designs. It's amazing to me how many different designs there were in that center circle. No two seem to be alike, but that doesn't make sense from a manufacturing point of view. It seems like they'd have to reset their printer for each watch dial. I know they must have made multiples of this design and of other designs, but I haven't seen any. In fact, the closed I've seen was on an American Standard brand watch from the 1930's.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Steve.


    Quote Originally Posted by WNUT View Post
    Hi, Elgin did use that style of dial in the early 1900's. Usually from about 1915 to the late 20's. By style, I mean the center circle. It could be a scene, like your's or just an imprinted or indented circle. Other watch companies did the same.
    I had one somewhat like it, but sold it. Otherwise I'd show you a pic of what I mean.
    I believe it's original...IMHO
    Hope this helps a little.
    regards, Dave
    PS - That watch movement (your watch) was made from 1903 until 1939. 1,033,900 were made. It has 15 Jewels.

  9. #8
    Member Ray MacDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Almonte ON Canada
    Posts
    23,771

    Re: Has anyone ever seen this dial before

    Well in this case it sounds like a conventional penknife with a nail file for personal grooming.

    There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Valjoux 7734 Chronograph + spare dial - mostly NOS
      By jon12w in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: November 9th, 2006, 05:00
    2. Pams *214*104f*230*000*9b*111h*82c*87e*005*219h*& More For Sale Or Trade In Nyc
      By nytymz in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: October 3rd, 2006, 06:31
    3. Replies: 0
      Last Post: September 26th, 2006, 04:28
    4. Pams *230*199*116*000*217*27b*87e*005*194*25*111h*& More For Sale Or Trade In Nyc
      By nytymz in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: September 18th, 2006, 06:21
    5. Replies: 0
      Last Post: May 2nd, 2005, 14:19

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •