Has anyone heard of Genievre brand?

Thread: Has anyone heard of Genievre brand?

Has anyone heard of Genievre brand?

I just picked up a sweet 1950's Genievre Swiss watch in a flea market in Italy. I have never heard of this brand. Does anyone know anything about it? I have attached a photo of a similar one (but mine is minty--will photograph it soon).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Has anyone heard of Genievre brand?

be sure to post pics with the movement also

I have recently purchased a Genievre wristwatch

MattAC: Like you, I recently bought a used Genievre wristwatch from a UK charity shop. I also am not familiar with the brand and have been trying to find out more about it via the internet. Your forum question is the first positive identification I have had in finding anything out about this watch.

My watch is in good condition. The general appearance is virtually identical to the watch you have on view. My timepiece has a quality–looking gold outer casing with a ‘champagne’ face and similar numerals and date to the photo shown along with a stainless steel back, with the engraved words, FOND ACIER INOXYDABLE.

On the clock face it has the GENIEVRE name in black capital letters (without a logo above it, as shown in your photo), ACRE 17 RUBIS, in black capital letters, underneath, then the word, CALENDAR, in red capital letters. Above and around the sweeping second hand the word ANTIMAGNETIC. It does not have an original wristband.

It requires manual winding daily? (As yet, I am still trying to work out a regular winding time with number of ‘turns’). It requires a good light cleaning of the face and glass. The gold is in good condition and appearance and not really ‘wearing to base metal’. The back looks like it has been opened by someone in the past with light marks showing.

I paid £7.50 UK pounds for it.

I put a guess at the age as the 1960/70s?

Have I over–paid for this Swiss Miss?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: I have recently purchased a Genievre wristwatch

Thanks for posting and welcome.
    I'd say 1960s if it looks like the watch from last year's post. A manual wind-up watch should be wound daily all the way up until you feel resistance to winding.
    Probably it has a generic movement that would benefit from a good cleaning, but given that it is really not a valuable watch nor a family heirloom probably not worth it.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks Ray MacDonald for that enlightening information.

It may be old. It may be crap. But it’s paid–for.

I think I may have just caught the wristwatch collecting bug.

Regards, Andy P.

I didn't say it's crap. In fact a generic movement from the 1960s can be quite a good one. It's just that you can expect to spend $100 or so to get a watch cleaned and lubricated. If you plan to wear a vintage watch regularly such service is advisable to keep it running well.
    Watches like this are not economically justifiable to repair or maintain because they are worth what somebody will pay at a second hand sale generally. However if you like it and don't care about making a profit it's worth a service if it's running OK now.
    Many watches of this type were bought, used till they quit running and then replaced with a new one.
    I suspect many present day collectors of affordable mechanical watches will do the same thing when they realize that service is more costly than purchase in the long run.
    I have pocket watches that cost 3X their value to fix. But my grandfathers owned them.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Ray MacDonald: My comment to your informative reply was meant to be a bit ‘tongue–in–cheek’ and not to serious. I do intend to wear this Genievre piece regularly, in turn with others, and will get it serviced first as you advise.

Speaking from a novice’s viewpoint, the true cash worth of the watch against the servicing charge is of secondary concern. I admit I get a personal ‘buzz’ out of vintage design, style and ‘quality’. I also get the same buzz handling and writing with vintage Sheaffer and Parker fountain pens.

Once again, thank you for your time and information.

Regards, Andy P.

I guess my view on this is that it's probably worth spending a bit more initially on a vintage watch, given that you are going to spend at least $100 fixing it up. Certainly this would be my thinking on a pocket watch, where I'd not likely consider a 7 jewel movement as a candidate for restoration unless a family member owned it. There are plenty of nice 15 and 17 jewel movements out there for not that much more money.

Thread Information