Have I identified this Seamaster correctly?
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Have I identified this Seamaster correctly?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Have I identified this Seamaster correctly?

Hello everybody,

My first post in this very interesting forum.

I recently found this Seamaster at an auction on the Swedish island of Gotland. I've searched the Omega Vintage Watches Database but am not sure I have identified it correctly. I attach four photos which I thought could help.

Following the directions of the Database I have searched for both 2990 and 2996 on the inside of the back cover. Both bring up Ranchero models. When I search for "Seamaster" I find a few that are similar but not the same.

BUT, when I search for the number 284, which is on the second image and which I believe might be the caliber number (?) then I get this entry. Would this be the right one?

I realise this is not a special watch at all but I am just curious about it.

Thanks for any help
    Best regards
    Philip

Seamaster

Gents' leather strap

Reference CK 2938
    International collection 1958
    Movement Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 284
    Created in 1955
    17 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    Case Stainless steel
    Case back Press-in
    Dial Luminous (radium) with hand-rivetted gold hour markers.
    Crystal Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet Leather
    Water resistance 30 meters

Name:  IMG_3920s.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  248.3 KBName:  IMG_3916s.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  212.5 KBName:  IMG_3921s.jpg
Size:  257.0 KBName:  IMG_3922s.jpg
Size:  212.0 KB
    Last edited by philipus; June 7th, 2015 at 14:49.

Re: Have I identified this Seamaster correctly?

It would appear that the ref numbers are indeed of a Ranchero model and not a Seamaster. The second one you found is also a bit weird because it states that this model was created in 55 and was part of the collection of 58. The serial number of the movement, however, places it between 61 and 63.
    philipus likes this.

Interesting. Both he CK 2990, and the 2996, as identified by the case number, should indicate a Ranchero. I think it's a frankenwatch. The thing is, I am not certain what has it been before. The ref. CK 2996 was a Ranchero outfitted with the calibre 284, which actually is the movement here. So it looks like the dial is wrong. To unfranken it, you'd probably need a NOS Ranchero dial, and good luck finding that.
    Also, the watch might as well have been a Seamaster deprived of its gold case. But the database doesn't list a Seamaster in solid gold with a 284 movement.
    So I believe it's a Ranchero with a wrong dial. If you do happen to find a NOS dial correct for the watch, then you'll be a lucky one- Omega Ranchero are really collectible pieces...
    philipus likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi,

Quite poor example, serious case damages, dial damaged.
    Big chances for franken because even the case looks ranchero. Balance cock from different watch and probably a dial too
    philipus likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage1982 View Post
    It would appear that the ref numbers are indeed of a Ranchero model and not a Seamaster. The second one you found is also a bit weird because it states that this model was created in 55 and was part of the collection of 58. The serial number of the movement, however, places it between 61 and 63.
    The calibre and not the model has been created in 1955!

Besides, the database shows when has the model been introduced- doesn't say anything when was it discontinued.
    I have no idea when the production of the Ranchero was ceased- if someone in here knows, this might just be the solution.
    philipus likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

No one knows exactly when the caliber was created because the 284 is an improvement on the 280, all the way to the 286 movement. And there is no need to shout.
    The serial number indicates that it was produced in the early 60's (1960-1963). You're right about the Ranchero models though. Could be they were produced for many years.
    philipus likes this.

Sorry- I didn't intend to shout, but rather mildly exclaim. The Ranchero was short-lived, but then again, if we look at the amount of time each Omega model line was or is being produced, 3-5 years doesn't look like much.
    The movement's uneven wear to the plating, as noticed by laikrodukas, seems to be a bigger concern here...
    Vintage1982 and philipus like this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

The Ref. 2990 and 2996 have been seen without the Ranchero dial. I've seen those as Seamasters and a few with no model name at all.

The Ranchero model was meant primarily for the U.S. market, although some were sold elsewhere.

IMO, the watch is original, but only worth a small fraction of the same watch with a genuine Ranchero dial.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    laikrodukas, busmatt, mkws and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    The Ref. 2990 and 2996 have been seen without the Ranchero dial. I've seen those as Seamasters and a few with no model name at all.

The Ranchero model was meant primarily for the U.S. market, although some were sold elsewhere.

IMO, the watch is original, but only worth a small fraction of the same watch with a genuine Ranchero dial.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Interesting and confusing at the same time. You're of course right- the Ranchero was intended for the U.S. market, as an alternative (in terms of looks) to the Geneve line, but they surface in Europe from time to time. The Omega database does not include a Seamaster with this reference number, though this wouldn't be the first time they did not list something properly... The more I look at the Omega database, the more unreliable it seems to be. If I understand correctly, this can be a legit watch, with the ref.no. being correct for both a Seamaster and a Ranchero. Now this is where I'm a bit lost- on one hand, I do believe your judgement about the watch, on the other hand- I cannot be sure if there is any way to determine whether this is a 100% original Seamaster, or a Ranchero after a dial swap, i.e. a frankenwatch.
    I have heard of Seamasters being converted into Ranchero- never of this being done the other way round, but at the same time, I've seen even the more desirable watches of various brands being converted into less collectible pieces- usually long ago, often due to low availability of parts. This wouldn't be surprising, keeping in mind that the Ranchero was only produced for a short time(compared to other Omega model lines).With this reference number mess, it sounds like it is bloody hard to determine whether a Ranchero has left the factory as itself, as a Seamaster or as an Omega belonging to the "general collection".
    busmatt and philipus like this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Here is another Seamaster example.

Item 838782 - Kaplans Auktioner

Chances are good that the other example is legitimate. Otherwise, someone cost themselves a lot of money.

Take care,
    gatorcpa
    busmatt, philipus and mkws like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information