Have you ever wanted to be mesmerised by an Accutron movement for 4 minutes?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By asfletch

Thread: Have you ever wanted to be mesmerised by an Accutron movement for 4 minutes?

Have you ever wanted to be mesmerised by an Accutron movement for 4 minutes?

In this captivating slow-zoom video (courtesy of The Guardian) the renowned British architect Richard Rogers talks about how buildings should be more like his Bulova Accutron, which his Mum gave him 44 years ago:

Richard Rogers: 'Buildings should be like sunflowers'

redcow, JP71624 and Tremec like this.

Re: Have you ever wanted to be mesmerised by an Accutron movement for 4 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by asfletch View Post
    In this captivating slow-zoom video (courtesy of The Guardian) the renowned British architect Richard Rogers talks about how buildings should be more like his Bulova Accutron, which his Mum gave him 44 years ago:

Richard Rogers: 'Buildings should be like sunflowers'

FANTASTIC - Thanks for sharing
    He has it all right!
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Re: Have you ever wanted to be mesmerised by an Accutron movement for 4 minutes?

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by asfletch View Post
    ....like his Bulova Accutron, which his Mum gave him 44 years ago:
    Sorry for being the forum grinch again: Were Spaceview conversions (less friendly fakes) already created in the late 60s, when originals were still available?

Regards, Roland Ranfft

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,

Sorry for being the forum grinch again: Were Spaceview conversions (less friendly fakes) already created in the late 60s, when originals were still available?

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    That is (i believe) kind of irrelevant.
    Listen to what he is saying - enjoy the words.

Best
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Yup. The Spaceview was originally just a sales gimick that became popular; all the original Spaceviews were technically conversions except for the small number of actual demo models. Once Bulova realized how popular they were, they started shipping "Conversion" kits to their retailers, and only later started making them out of the factory. So yeah, it's an extremely blurry line unless you decide to do a LOT of research and know which models had official conversions available and which are more recent "hacks".

Roger's watch looks sorta like one in the second row of watches shown here, but with a replacment crystal: http://www.accutron214.com/AccutronSpaceviewHistory.htm
    Last edited by AbslomRob; July 16th, 2013 at 20:50.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I sold one to a "collector" back in 2004, he never heard of or seen one before. I was first mesmerized by an Accutron in a jewelry store in Lompoc, California in June of 1962 while I was TDY
    at Vandenberg AFB. They used to demo them by putting them on a glass case. I walked out of that
    store in a daze. Many couldn't sleep with them on.

Hi adam,

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    That is (i believe) kind of irrelevant.
    Listen to what he is saying - enjoy the words.
    I don't regard credibility as irrelevant, but I don't blame anyone if he does for any higher reason.

I love lyric poetry, even if it is only a painting composed of words, without any message. But I'm also an engineer, and a header like "Buildings should be like sunflowers" blocks my tiny brain. My first thought was: How shall I place my bookshelf in a sunflower?

Anyway, this is no lyrics forum, and so I try to transfer my limited knowledge about Spaceviews to newbies, to prevent that they waste $$$ for fakes. From 44 years ago I calculate 1969 - long after the transition of the Spaceview from a demonstration gimmick to a successful model line. And as the same cases were used for Spaceview models and dial models, conversions exist which can't be distinguished from originals. But this one belongs to the worst conversions ever, and should be mentioned in a watch forum.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; July 17th, 2013 at 04:37.

Thread Information