Haven't posted a classic Trim thread for a long time - Roamer WWII period
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Haven't posted a classic Trim thread for a long time - Roamer WWII period

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Haven't posted a classic Trim thread for a long time - Roamer WWII period

This one was interesting, as it needed a substantial lug repair, more on that later.

Here's an after shot. Dare I describe it as having a touch of Bauhaus?

And here is a before shot - you can see why I bought it, the dial is fantastic...

...but, the gremlins had been at play, and the ebay lister hadn't come clean in his posting. He'd admitted the fixed bar was missing, but he didn't say that someone had drilled extra lug holes for spring bars - greatly weakening the lugs as the material left was micro-thin, and when the watch arrived, both lugs had bent up and were mangled.

Before I took the before photos, I had bent the lugs back into position, and somehow the chrome was still good on the tops of the lugs.

I never send watches back, so the only choice was to fix it. So, here it is, my first silver solder lug repair. I wish I'd taken a before photo of the lugs, but I got all carried away. Of course this was all done with the case stripped out. The real trick was soldering the fixed bar into the solder repaired lugs, without remelting the shaped and finished lugs - normally you'd use two solders with different melting points, but I had to make do with one type of solder.

Clean movement parts.

Train bridge. Its a false 3 finger bridge, the leftmost screw (in the photo) is a dummy.

And this is why you should always fit a new mainspring. Not much energy in the old one.

P.S. My surface is stained, not dirty - looks bad though. Should replace it.

Running.

In the case (case is 33mm, movement is 23.4mm).

Mmmm dial and stick hands. You can see the new fixed bar, ideally it would be chromed, but once the strap is on, you can't tell - and I don't want to re-chrome the case as a lot of original detail would be lost.

Strapped. Not a sympathetic choice - but all I had that in stock that could be used with fixed bars. Will hunt down something better.

I believe that crown is original.

Finishing off with another wristy

Last edited by trim; November 21st, 2012 at 10:25.
    john87300, Mirius, Eeeb and 4 others like this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Haven't posted a classic Trim thread for a long time - Roamer WWII period

Photos not worky :( except medium-10

Oops. Well I've messed this up good and proper.

Edit: Fixed, but with a couple less photos than before.
    Last edited by trim; November 21st, 2012 at 10:16.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good job
    Maybe the dial has been refinished. The logo looks a bit different from the usual one and the hands seem to be older than the dial IMHO

I for one have missed the "Trim" specials!

What a fantastic repair job on the case, very skillful indeed and a beautiful finished watch, I can even forgive the temporary strap, well done
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Roamer used a number of different fonts over the years, and the earlier ones were not the serif font you show. On the other hand my equivelent Medana does use a serif font.

Name:  R019301.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  226.7 KB

Regarding hands, maybe this watch is a little earlier than Kris suggests (as mine should be late Thirties), but I'd be surprised.

I obviously need to give this watch a trim makeover. Perhaps I should stop buying them for a while...

Nice solder job Trim.
    Great looking dial right enuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba48 View Post
    Maybe the dial has been refinished. The logo looks a bit different from the usual one and the hands seem to be older than the dial IMHO
    Nope, 100% not refinished. It is the exactly correct logo for the period - your logo is considerably more recent, introduced in about 1958-60. You can see about 20 or so on my site with this logo, introduced in 1938 and replaced with the serif version you show in 1958-60.

The hands are a strange finish - not aged as they're in great condition, but some kind of brownish coating that I haven't seen before. Its clearly intended to be a matt effect.

I'll also add that Roamer were producing their own dials in house - and they made very very good dials. They seem to age well, unlike those from the likes of Omega and others. The lack of lume helps in this particular case.

I would say it ended up in a drawer due to the early failure of the fixed bar and botched lug repair, hence its very fine condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Regarding hands, maybe this watch is a little earlier than Kris suggests (as mine should be late Thirties), but I'd be surprised.
    Well, remember WW2 started in 1938. That's when this logo was trademarked - I do believe it most likely to be in this late 30s period rather than the end of the WW2 period.

EDIT: Actually, I've just read up on this and everybody else says WW2 started in late 1939. I was counting from early 1938, which was the annexation of Austria. This is probably because my father is Austrian, and a lot of my history education came from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    I obviously need to give this watch a trim makeover. Perhaps I should stop buying them for a while...

You know what I think about that. Yours is very nice and would respond very well to just a little love. BTW, I hope you had a fun and successful 6 months on ebay while I wasn't buying :-;

Thanks John and Radger, I think more case repair is in my future - it was rather fun.
    Last edited by trim; November 21st, 2012 at 22:00.

Trim,

Congrats on your first repair job! Looks like it turned out well and you did a good job as chrome plate does not like heat. I hope the demonstration I did for you last year was helpful and influential. I look forward to your posts on fixing wear on gold-fill.

As to your dial that is a beauty. The font certainly is distinctive; I've a Gruen military-style with a similar elongate typeface.

Cheers!
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

I lived with and loved Frankens.My recased Roamer, the one I know of specifically. So I guess Im trying to say, to me it doesnt matter if the font is true and correct if the overall end watch is a beauty and yours is !!! A big nod to your repair skills as well. Wear it well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information