Heirloom Hamilton 982

Thread: Heirloom Hamilton 982

Heirloom Hamilton 982

This is my only heirloom watch. Family history is the watch was given to my uncle by his sister upon his graduation from high school. Exact dating of the watch is difficult but, given the serial number, I suspect it was in fact given to him upon his graduation from Ohio State in 1940.

I remember him saying he had retired the watch because he could find no one to fix it. It has six service marks in the case so he serviced it regularly. After his death, his son gave it to me since he knew I collected watches and since the inscription was appropriate, we share the same name.

When I acquired it, it was working. It has since been serviced and keeps time well within a minute a day. I have not regulated it nor changed the Spidel Twist-o-flex band which my uncle used. I polished it for these pics and it is prominently displayed in my collection. I can't wear it yet... it makes me miss family members lost to time. But someday I'll bring it off display, put a band on it, and wear it. I'll remember Uncle Jim when I do.

"Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: Heirloom Hamilton 982

Looks like an appreciation of fine American watches runs in the family.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

That's a very nice example of a Hamilton Boulton. It's nice to have a watch with those memories attached to it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It looks like a fine watch, although I reckon it'd look better with a leather strap. Perhaps I'm more used to seeing these rectangular Hamiltons with leather straps, but I think they look nicer.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

..Bring it back to life..
    This is a classic.. Original and beautiful...- Clean and crisp..unlike my original Grandfather's - and I wear it often.
    A beauty, imo...
    Mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by jatco; March 28th, 2010 at 04:20.

Very nice Hammie, Jim. I'm sure you know the 982 serial number does indeed tie to 1940.

Got a strap on it yet???
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Very nice Hammie, Jim. I'm sure you know the 982 serial number does indeed tie to 1940.

Got a strap on it yet???
    I do indeed. Interesting story: I was wearing the watch when I was visiting my 88 year old mother. "Jim, why are you wearing a woman's watch?" she said.

She was amused when I showed it to her... then she said my father had one like it. "It's around here somewhere." So hopefully I'll be getting another heirloom! ... someday when she stumbles onto it
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I do indeed. Interesting story: I was wearing the watch when I was visiting my 88 year old mother. "Jim, why are you wearing a woman's watch?" she said.

She was amused when I showed it to her... then she said my father had one like it. "It's around here somewhere." So hopefully I'll be getting another heirloom! ... someday when she stumbles onto it
    Maybe your dad's was a Gordon or Kevin!
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Thread Information