Helbros Alarm

Thread: Helbros Alarm

Helbros Alarm

I won't have this watch in my hand until Feb 17th because I'm on the road away from home but needed to share. This will probably be the only vintage I buy. I'm going to have her spruced up so I can strap er to my wrist daily. I really didn't want a vintage, had my sights on an auto diver, but I kept going back looking at this one. Sounds cheesy but it touched my soul somehow and I need to wear this watch. I bought it for my own 35th birthday next month and I am ver excited! I am going to get it re-lumed, polished and serviced, and a new strap. Croc, I think. Anyhow, not concerned about value or anything, it's worth what I paid and will pay. Here are a few pics from the seler, used on his permission.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Helbros Alarm

Hi -

Not cheesy at all: it's a great acquisition and in outstanding shape...

Congratulations! Sounds like you have serious plans for it. A good alarm watch was, for a while, considered to be the best possible business man's watch in the pre-electronic world, since it allowed him to discreetly be reminded of a deadline or appointment.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Very nice!! Adolf Schild AS 1568 (don't think the fine adjustment is quite right for the very similar AS 1931 - but you will be able to tell when you get it by whether the alarm stops or goes off with the upper crown pushed in). I have always been a fan of the old AS alarm movements.....

Here's the link to that calibre:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&2uswk&AS_1568

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This will probably be the only vintage I buy.
    I'd be willing to take a small wager that this won't be true. You have the bug. it's obvious from your post.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

It's a beautifully crisp looking watch. I've been looking for an alarm too... It looks like the AS movements dominated this market.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thank you for all the kind words. I may buy a couple more. I usually don't care for chronographs but some of the older ones I've been looking at are pretty neat. Its going to be a long 3 weeks, I can't wait! Ok I admit I may have the bug as I am drooling over the pocket watches here in the foum..Thank you Hartmut for that link it'll give me something to study to help pass the time.

There were, all in all, ca. 1.4 million AS 1475 calibres and derivatives:

AS 1475: no date, 18 000 A/h, 2:00 crown in sets off alarm - ca. 780 000 pieces
    AS 1569: with date, 18 000 A/h, 2:00 crown in sets off alarm - ca. 149 000 pieces
    AS 1930: no date, 21 600 A/h, 2:00 crown out sets off alarm - ca. 127 000 pieces
    AS 1931: with date, 21 600 A/h, 2:00 crown out sets off alarm - ca. 330 000 pieces

There is also the automatic AS 5008 family with ca. 175 000 original pieces, which is now (re-)made by La Joux Perret (formerly Jaquet) with slight modifications (ball-bearings on rotor, some versions with day-of-the-week changed to second time zone by window).

No figures are given for other alarm movements but some believe the second most common one to be the Seiko Cal. 4006 ("Bellmatic").

Hartmut Richter

Cool Re: Helbros Alarm

I finally made it home and got my hands on her! I am thrilled, the pics do not even do it justice. I don't have a camera right now for new pictures, but its much nicer in person. I forgot to try the alarm with crown out, but it works and is pleasant. More of a vibration, but nice. I knew I shouldn't wind it, but I gave it a few turns and set the time and date. Setting was effortless and the movement seems in great condition, and it ran and kept perfect time for just under 12 hours. Left her at home to keep myself from tinkering and running till its serviced.It is quite small, by today's standards, 35mm across, but I'm ok with that. The most amazing thing, to me, is that the lum still glows! Dim, but still I was surprised. I am very happy, but I fear this is the first of many. Thanks to this wonderful forum and people I've got a lot in mind. Plus I'm on the road a lot and really love hanging out here.

Hi -

Congrats!

It sounds like you've got the bug. Welcome to the world of watch collecting, from one who is at least as fascinated by the watches of old as you appear to be.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Congratulations! The alarm will be more of a vibration when the watch is worn but should be loud enough if you don't put anything next to the case bottom - and even louder when it's on a wooden cupboard which will act as a soundboard!! Still, for sheer volume, nothing will beat the old Vulcain Cricket.....!

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information