HELBROS please HELP

Thread: HELBROS please HELP

HELBROS please HELP

Ok men, I have to completely plead ignorance here.

I'm a watch fan, I own many, I understand mechanical movements, etc, however my experience is relegated to new watches, current brands, etc.

Today my wife saw a watch she absolutely loved at a local antique watch store.. The man carries several hundred vintage watches as well as lighters, etc etc.

The watch in question is what the man claims to be a 1920s era Helbros, he says the case is white gold and that the diamonds [small] on it are real. He wants $500 for it. I am at a loss as to whether or not this is a fair priced for a precious stone and metal timepiece that is over 100 years old, or if he is charging about $490 too much. I would hope someone here could weigh in on whether such things even exist, and whether the price would be fair in any case. For example, if you heard someone was charing $10,000 for a drug store Timex, you'd feel something was wrong.. . is there anyone familiar with this brand? Thanks you VERY much for ALL replies.

HRH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by HRH Adam; June 10th, 2010 at 08:58. Reason: Added pic

Re: HELBROS please HELP

Hi there.

I don't know much about Helbros as it was a New York based company that imported Swiss movements to be cased and sold in the US. However, previous threads in here have suggested it was a middle of the road brand - certainly not high end.

You are asking for a valuation. That is against forum rules, and, in any event, would be absolutely impossible on the basis of a photograph. A watch is worth what someone will pay for it. As to whether the diamonds are real, that would need to be decided by a qualified jeweller. I'm sorry, but we really cannot help.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I doubt it's worth anywhere near $500. I'm not an expert in women's vintage watches, but...
    • Women's vintage watches fetch much less than men's ( I think because women are not as interested in the mechanical marvels of yesteryear), and
    • Helbros, while a "sub-major" brand in the mid-20th century, has never had much of a vintage following.
    Even if the watch is solid white gold (hallmarked as such?) and the gems are verified as diamonds, and the watch is in very good cosmetic and operating condition, I think $250 would be a more reasonable price. But then my opinion and a buck might get you a cup of java.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Eh yeah I found one that looks very similar on Ebay for about $499 less. I guess the guy really values his own watch repair skills, and is charging a "big city" price due to his location :)

I wrote an in depth thread on Helbros awhile ago but if your into modern watches, I would compare their business model, with Invicta today. They had some very good models, and a lot of pedestrian models, with suppliers constantly changing. Because of all the change, and a lack of records it's hard to know what you have, as far as quality.

That kind of watch isn't really a watch, it's jewelery that happens to tell time. As such, you'd need to ask a qualified jeweler. If the diamonds are real, then the value will be related to the quantity and quality of the diamonds. The gold content, even if its solid, won't be that much on a watch that size.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

That's a 1940s to 1970's style .. not a 1920s style which would have been art deco

As others have said, it's worth what someone is willing to pay.

A new pair of gold earrings from a jewellry store is priced far above the resale price.

It's more than what I would pay, but my wife hasn't seen it and fallen in love with it.

Jewellry isn't about logic.

That said, I doubt you will find a solid gold cased watch selling for $1 as suggested.

Banned

oh, do I love comedy, can I use that . .

"That kind of watch isn't really a watch, it's jewelery that happens to tell time."

Diamonds is diamonds. You can get a quote for the melt. I buy this type of movement by the gallon or in the case of couple of "poppers" - they give me this kind of stuff. In fact, every once in a while I find the odd Omega or Marconi (R) in the pile. Almost no one wants small watches.

A friend is a very successful dealer and estate buyer. He found an old swiss, smaller tanque in platinum with gorgeous sapphires mounted. Pat was convinced he'd hit a homerun on it. In the end it was worth more for the melt because it was just a little bit smaller than is now acceptable. If she really, really likes it - scrap plus the cost of an excellent steak.

Hell, if it makes her happy and you can swing it, its probably cheap at any price.

It looks like what I like to call, a junk drawer watch.

I don't believe that it dates any earlier than the mid 1940's and can possibly be from the 50s.
    Nobody made watches as small as that during the 1920s and the style is not one that dates to the 30s.
    One very important thing to consider is that the movement is likely to NOT be shock-protected, making the watch much more fragile than a newer one.
    If you're only familiar with newer watches, then you probably have no idea as to how susceptible the non-shock-protected balance staff is to being broken or damaged.
    Ask an older person--in their late 60s or up and they'll tell you how they often had to get the watch balance staffs replaced, in the old days.
    If it dates to the 1950s, it might have shock-protection.
    The prices of many things are necessarily different in different places.
    A person in Tennessee could probably get 2 or 3 watches serviced for what he'd pay for 1 COA in New York.
    Of course, the watchmaker in NY is paying at least 4x the rent as the guy in TN.
    Taking it a bit further, it's not very fair to compare Ebay sales prices with anywhere else's prices.
    Any brick and mortar store is more costly to operate than an Ebay store.
    (No, I'm not a watchmaker, jeweler or Ebay seller.)
    Hopefully, the watch was recently serviced and has a guarantee.
    If it isn't, that would be the deal-breaker for me.

Thread Information