Hello Again! Novice Seeking Information...

Thread: Hello Again! Novice Seeking Information...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10

    Hello Again! Novice Seeking Information...

    Hello, I'm wondering if anyone could advise me as to the history, value, and care of older "Patek Philippe(sp)" pocket watches? My own research indicates exhorbitant (and dubious) values. The watches currently reside in a bank safebox, so unfortunately no pics today. I will try to have my dad get the model #s and approx. period of manufacture ready for a future post. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,156

    Re: Hello Again! Novice Seeking Information...

    Quote Originally Posted by cheeriosarefree View Post
    Hello, I'm wondering if anyone could advise me as to the history, value, and care of older "Patek Philippe(sp)" pocket watches? My own research indicates exhorbitant (and dubious) values. The watches currently reside in a bank safebox, so unfortunately no pics today. I will try to have my dad get the model #s and approx. period of manufacture ready for a future post. Thanks in advance.
    Well, there are no cheap Pateks But we don't do valuations... history, well history is something else.

    I'd start digging around on Amazon for some books. Pateks are featured in some... you might learn a lot!

    For insurance purposes, you should have pictures. Movement pictures are important. Of course, there is no reason once you have taken the pictures to document for the insurance company that you couldn't share them with us
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  3. #3
    Member Ray MacDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Almonte ON Canada
    Posts
    23,771

    Re: Hello Again! Novice Seeking Information...

    The Patek Philippe serial numbers are available and up to 1925 were pretty straightforward. After that, well....
    http://www.brittons-watches.co.uk/NE...Date_Patek.asp
    We don't attempt valuations here but as Eeeb pointed out, if you have a Patek collection that is something rather special.
    Even with a Patek Philippe though, condition is very important as far as value goes.

    There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10

    Re: Hello Again! Novice Seeking Information...

    I've never lain eyes on these pieces, and so can't comment on condition. My dad saw an antiques show that featured one on pbs recently. He was astounded at the expert's valuation and called to tell me he had some stored with other things "at the bank" (I'm assuming he meant in a safe deposit box) and asked me to do the necessary research, so here I am. I remembered watchuseek from my last foray in here, and all the great advice I received then. In a round-about way these revelations concerning the Patek watches and others are all coming about as a result of an illness in the family, so I feel like all the horrible stuff is in some small way being tempered by happy news. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    The Patek Philippe serial numbers are available and up to 1925 were pretty straightforward. After that, well....
    http://www.brittons-watches.co.uk/NE...Date_Patek.asp
    We don't attempt valuations here but as Eeeb pointed out, if you have a Patek collection that is something rather special.
    Even with a Patek Philippe though, condition is very important as far as value goes.

  6. #5
    Member JohnF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oberstedten, Germany
    Posts
    9,651

    Re: Hello Again! Novice Seeking Information...

    Hi -

    Sorry to hear about an illness in the family, that's always worrisome.

    Please do read our note about valuations.

    Let me expand on that briefly, as Patek pocket watches are fairly rare and almost invariably valuable.

    For highly collectible watches, it's critical to have as much of the new watch as possible: the perfect collectible would be still in the original shopping bag, complete with receipt, a picture of frozen time, as it were. Those are the watches that command the best prices.

    The difficulty will be, if you decide to sell the watches, in finding the right buyer. While it might seem like a good idea to sell on eBay, I wouldn't: if your Pateks are in great shape, you might want to see how the high-end auction houses could help you.

    Without having seen the watches, there's no way in knowing what they are. They could be, given the name, worth a significant amount of money, though (but don't get your hopes up!), and you can maximize what you might get for the watches by getting professional to help you...

    JohnF

    PS: Do let us know what you have! Pictures!
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる


  7. #6
    Member Ray MacDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Almonte ON Canada
    Posts
    23,771

    Re: Hello Again! Novice Seeking Information...

    Absolutely agree with JohnF.
    One more thing. Do not attempt to wind or run these watches if they have been sitting for years in a safety deposit box. That will do more harm than good.
    They will need service by a real professional as part of your preparation to sell (if that is what you have in mind.) If not serviced plan to deduct a fair bit from the selling price.
    You might want to contact Patek directly if you have the serial numbers. They usually can help with model info etc.
    http://www.patek.com/patek-philippe.html

    There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10

    Confused Re: Hello Again! Novice Seeking Information...

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

    Sorry to hear about an illness in the family, that's always worrisome.

    Please do read our note about valuations.

    Let me expand on that briefly, as Patek pocket watches are fairly rare and almost invariably valuable.

    For highly collectible watches, it's critical to have as much of the new watch as possible: the perfect collectible would be still in the original shopping bag, complete with receipt, a picture of frozen time, as it were. Those are the watches that command the best prices.

    The difficulty will be, if you decide to sell the watches, in finding the right buyer. While it might seem like a good idea to sell on eBay, I wouldn't: if your Pateks are in great shape, you might want to see how the high-end auction houses could help you.

    Without having seen the watches, there's no way in knowing what they are. They could be, given the name, worth a significant amount of money, though (but don't get your hopes up!), and you can maximize what you might get for the watches by getting professional to help you...

    JohnF

    PS: Do let us know what you have! Pictures!
    JohnF, thank you for your concern as to our health crisis. We remain hopeful.

    My dad, who's been divesting lately, mentioned retreiving the watches to have them mailed up here. I've urged him against doing this. I will probably go down this or next month to retrieve them myself, at which time they'll get stashed in my bank safe deposit box where; I imagine, they'll be for the next 50 years...with the exception of the few occasions when we take them out to oooh and ahhh over them. Regardless of whatever condition they're in, they are family heirlooms and will be treasured and enjoyed as such.

    As for selling - things in my family tend to get passed-down, not sold. My grandmother sold an old and apparently valuable doll in the 70s and the recriminations about it didn't stop for years. And my father waited years before he trusted my older sister's husband enough to start including him in on what gets passed down. By their 20th anniversary, I guess he had to admit that a sufficient amount of time had passed.

    I will post pictures/info. as soon as I have something useful. Thanks again for the helpful advice.

  9. #8
    Member Ray MacDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Almonte ON Canada
    Posts
    23,771

    Re: Hello Again! Novice Seeking Information...

    they'll get stashed in my bank safe deposit box where; I imagine, they'll be for the next 50 years...with the exception of the few occasions when we take them out to oooh and ahhh over them.
    Well..granted these are likely valuable timepieces but you are visiting in a watch lovers' forum here. So...
    In my view the place for such wonderful family heirlooms is not in a safety deposit box, but in a beautiful display case in your home. Further to this viewpoint, if you can afford to get them restored to working order, that should also be an objective.
    If you plan on selling them, by all means store them in a safety deposit box. Then all you care about is maximizing your return. But as a piece of family history they deserve better.
    We are talking about one of the finest time machines in the world - something that will give immeasurable joy to generations to come if it's passed on as a fully capable, running object.
    I spent lots to get my grandfathers' pocket watches running again- and they were not Pateks.

    There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

  10. #9
    Zenith Forum Co-moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,559

    Re: Hello Again! Novice Seeking Information...

    With most watches - and especially Pateks - , it depends on exactly what you have and what state it's in. Patek Philippe have made rather less than one million watches of any type in their entire history (a decade or so ago, the count was at under 600 000). Any one of these is going to be fairly valuable. If the watch is special - e.g. chronometer pocket watches made for observatory accuracy competitions, something with a complication, etc. - the price soon rockets. Although it's most unlikely that your watches are in that league, the most expensive watch ever was the "Henry Graves" complicated PW by Patek Philippe. At auction about five years ago, it fetched 11.5 million US$! (Curiously enough, it has been resold since then - at "only" about 2 million! Shows you that you have to hit the right day with the right people there as well.....)

    Hartmut Richter

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10

    Re: Hello Again! Novice Seeking Information...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    With most watches - and especially Pateks - , it depends on exactly what you have and what state it's in. ... Although it's most unlikely that your watches are in that league, the most expensive watch ever was the "Henry Graves" complicated PW by Patek Philippe. At auction about five years ago, it fetched 11.5 million US$! (Curiously enough, it has been resold since then - at "only" about 2 million! Shows you that you have to hit the right day with the right people there as well.....)

    Hartmut Richter
    ?????? 11.5 million???
    Well, not having set eyes on them, I can't vouch for their condition, thou I think it's a safe bet the watches my dad--who's fairly knowledgeable about antiques--refers to as "those old things from your great-g-grandad" don't come close to that valuation! And, if they're truly Patek's, then I suppose I should start being a little more cautious about broadcasting that fact.

    Thank goodness for Antiques Road Show! It must have been kismet that my dad saw the show when he did and asked me about it. I'm so glad he didn't just stick them in the mail box!

    Okay. So, I suppose my first order of business is to find a reputable and knowledgeable watch repairman!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •