Hello everyone, I am new here and need help finding model/brand from 1930's-1960's

Thread: Hello everyone, I am new here and need help finding model/brand from 1930's-1960's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello everyone, I am new here and need help finding model/brand from 1930's-1960's

So before I begin, I have never owned a watch before but have been enamored by them only a few months back, seeing nice watches (albeit expensive) in magazines for men such as in "Details", "GQ", "Esquire" and "Men's Health".

I have window shopped many jewerly/watch stores and have seen some new Bulovas, Citizens, Movados and Tissots. Since many of these stores carry the same brands and even the same models, all in ONE mall, I have decided to truly stand out I gotta go vintage. The prices for these brands I have visited are anywhere from 400 to $1000. I tried one of the Movado's (white face dial, leather strap) and it was too big for my wrists-- my wrists are very small, I am ashamed to admit! The case spec for this one I tried on was 45 mm and 13mm thick. It felt "too large" for my wrist IMO.

I am after a Vintage after hearing how the Swiss watches made after World War II and before the 70's/80's were 100%-- if not 100, than likely 90-95% genuine Swiss. Nowadays, many "Swiss Made" watches are normally 51/49 from what I researched which means in my eyes, MOST of the watch is Swiss... however, a lot of the watch and the strap is made in China, India, etc.

A second important factor for me is knowing which brands to look for between 1930's and 60's, and which to avoid. I wish to get a watch that has a relatively thin case, maybe 10mm or thinner, and a case diameter of 36mm or smaller. And yes, I am looking for men's watches, and NOT women's watches.

Price is relatively important that I am conscious of; it cannot be any more than $200 USD. I will not go over this budget-- not a penny more. In my case, I very much prefer to find a timeless looking watch that is less than $200, maybe closer to $100. This price would be most ideal since I am not rich, and I am on a budget.

So I have decided to join this forum in hopes you nice and experienced watch people, can list me some great Swiss brands from this time-frame, and maybe even some specific models. I plan on shopping for a watch via eBay.

Re: Hello everyone, I am new here and need help finding model/brand from 1930's-1960's

Hi and welcome.

You should be able to get a really nice watch for your budget. Note that 36mm is big for the era you are talking about - many men's watches were 28 - 32mm in diameter. The best value would lie in relatively obscure brands - rather than the more prestigious ones.

You might find this thread useful: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f295/ti...ch-122415.html

A few brands to consider might be:

Enicar
    Zodiac
    Lanco
    Roamer
    Phenix
    Cyma
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Re: Hello everyone, I am new here and need help finding model/brand from 1930's-1960's

Should be able to buy a tissot at that price, but dont know if you were trying on new dive watches so dont expect vintage models to hold upto WR.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

From what I understand, thin watches were considered quite desirable back in the day. Piaget (although outside your price range) is a good example of a brand that forged a name for making thin movements, especially the calibre 9P at only 2mm! see link: 1957 - Ultra-thin revolution - History of Piaget
    However there were plenty of brands that made thin models, the Gruen Veri-Thin or Hamilton thin o matic come to mind. I've got a nice 50s Wittnauer dress watch that is quite thin as well. But as Marrick mentions above these will likely be around the 30mm mark. The 45mm watch you tried on is considered a large size (although this definition seems to be growing every day), so don't be ashamed of your wrists!!!
    good luck.
    Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Hi and welcome.

You should be able to get a really nice watch for your budget. Note that 36mm is big for the era you are talking about - many men's watches were 28 - 32mm in diameter. The best value would lie in relatively obscure brands - rather than the more prestigious ones.

You might find this thread useful: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f295/ti...ch-122415.html

A few brands to consider might be:

Enicar
    Zodiac
    Lanco
    Roamer
    Phenix
    Cyma

Thanks Marrick I will check those brands out! I am surprised men's watches were 28-32mm. Modern day watches are 40 to 45mm in diameter for the case like a Movado I tried on, which for me, is too large since it slides around on my wrist. I kind of want to avoid watches less than 32mm since it becomes more of a modern day women's watch. Speaking of ladies watches... what was the average case diameter for 50's and 60's watches?

Bspargo, I have seen a brand called "DOXA" on eBay as well and they are a Swiss company--made some diving watches. I don't want a diving watch, so are their other watches any good? I've encountered some random brands from the 50's and 60's on eBay for vintage men's watches. Never heard of them, and are none of the brands Marrick has mentioned.

Hi and welcome
    Since 1920s watch sizes have grown every year
    Even in 2010 when they said watches could NOT get larger in 2011 and subsequently they did
    So watches fro 1920 appear tiny to to-days sizes - sometimes called 'boys sized ' wartches
    So define 'vintage'? Which year?
    Because 40 to 45mm is NEVER vintage
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; July 19th, 2013 at 22:06.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastTemplar View Post
    Speaking of ladies watches... what was the average case diameter for 50's and 60's watches?
    I'm not absolutely sure, but I'd say about 18-26mm.
    Last edited by Marrick; July 19th, 2013 at 22:40.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastTemplar View Post
    Bspargo, I have seen a brand called "DOXA" on eBay as well and they are a Swiss company--made some diving watches. I don't want a diving watch, so are their other watches any good? I've encountered some random brands from the 50's and 60's on eBay for vintage men's watches. Never heard of them, and are none of the brands Marrick has mentioned.
    Doxa are fine, but to be honest, in my opinion any of the swiss made brands are likely to be ok, just depends on what watch you like the look of. Just buy something which is listed as definitely working (or factor in about $100 for service) and that personally appeals to you. I feel that in this era it is a little bit less about big brand names, as there were lots of brands that have since become extinct that are perfectly functional and wearable, if you're going for a name brand then you will have more to potential issues to contend with (repainted dials etc). Follow the tips on "buying a vintage watch" link Marrick provided above for more guidance.
    good luck.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Because 40 to 45mm is NEVER vintage
    Not quite - what about the IWC "Große Fliegeruhr" (B-Uhr) at 50+mm?

But I will freely admit that you are right - that statement is 99+% correct.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Not quite - what about the IWC "Große Fliegeruhr" (B-Uhr) at 50+mm?

But I will freely admit that you are right - that statement is 99+% correct.

Hartmut Richter
    LOL
    I am happy to be incorrect the delta
    Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information