Hello folks, 1909 Illinois

Thread: Hello folks, 1909 Illinois

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello folks, 1909 Illinois

Extremely new here but I expect all to be genteel folks.

The only pocketwatch I own is this Illinois that was used by my grandfather. The porcelan dial has cracked over the years and by the futile attempts of the first jewler I took it to to get cleaned and repaired. The second jeweler got it right and glued the pieces back as best he could. The crystal is intact, but needs cleaning:oops: That's my fault. It hangs on a small lamp beside my computer monitor and has lived there ticking for the last 3 years.

It does run fast by about a minute a day. The movement says 21 jewels, 5 adjustments. Is there a way I could slow it down a bit? Other than fast it is a consistent watch. It's really neat to know it was made 100 years ago

I can't afford to collect pocketwatches, I have a knife habit and even that buying has ceased but I will treasure this watch forever with the old knife of the same age that my grandfather also owned. The knife is being refurbished by me, but I can't do the same for the watch.

Happy to have joined in with you guys/gals. Don't know why I didn't do it earlier.

Charlie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Hello folks, 1909 Illinois

Trying to move thread but can't figue out how. Just a newbie fumbling..LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by dbcad View Post

The only pocketwatch I own is this Illinois that was used by my grandfather. The porcelan dial has cracked over the years and by the futile attempts of the first jewler I took it to to get cleaned and repaired. The second jeweler got it right and glued the pieces back as best he could. The crystal is intact, but needs cleaning:oops: That's my fault. It hangs on a small lamp beside my computer monitor and has lived there ticking for the last 3 years.

It does run fast by about a minute a day. The movement says 21 jewels, 5 adjustments. Is there a way I could slow it down a bit? Other than fast it is a consistent watch. It's really neat to know it was made 100 years ago

I can't afford to collect pocketwatches, I have a knife habit and even that buying has ceased but I will treasure this watch forever with the old knife of the same age that my grandfather also owned. The knife is being refurbished by me, but I can't do the same for the watch.

Happy to have joined in with you guys/gals. Don't know why I didn't do it earlier.

Charlie

Not much to say.

Not everyone here is genteel, you best reserve some scepticism. Expect someone to post a completely unrelated Omega or seiko picture time to time.

As for the actual pocket-piece, it looks quite decent, seems to be well-kept. The dial cracks, though, you really ought to do something about that... Something more, that is. About slowing it down - hard to say. I guess a minute's offset can only be fixed by a proper watchmaker.
    Last edited by X2-Elijah; September 19th, 2010 at 15:57.
    NTH Santa Cruz
    Undone Speedy
    San Martin "Radiomir"(Damascus, Bronze, Steel)
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

hello folks, 1909 Illinois

Couldn't figure a way to move my post:oops:

Originally Posted by dbcad

Charlie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: hello folks, 1909 Illinois

Hi and welcome to the forum. Is that serial number 2589907? It appears to be a 12 size grade 409, this was a very high quality movement. It was produced between 1913 and 1916, only 1150 were made. Yours is from 1913. Here you can see the specs:
    [ELGIN] Documents and Pictures
    The watch might not have been properly cleaned and regulated if it is fast by one minute a day.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by dbcad View Post

Charlie
    The adjusting lever sits between two markers for Slow and Fast. Adjusting the lever slightly in one direction or the other will slide a bridle up or down the hairspring. Note that the adjustment is carried out by turning the small screw that is perpendicular to the base. Don't move the lever directly. That movement will shorten or lengthen the effective length of that spring and cause the balance wheel to to run faster or slower.

If you are comfortable woking on a small mechanism with a small jewelers screwdriver the adjustment is pretty straightforward. You should be fine, just take it slow and be careful not to catch the hairspring on that screwdriver.

Welcome to WUS. That's an interesting heirloom watch and it's good that you are actually using it. Can I suggest that you document everything you know about the watch and what you and any other family members remember about your grandfather when he was wearing it. The error you are experiencing makes me think the jewler did not service the movement.
    Last edited by John MS; September 19th, 2010 at 17:25.

Moved to Vintage.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thnak you Erik I live in a fairly rural part of Georgia USA. What kind of person do I need to see to get it properly regulated? I do love the watch and would love it better if it kept accurate time. Like I said, it's consistent in it's being fast, just about a minute a day like clockwork

Appreciate the feedback and I'll look into it as much as I can. Would love feedback from more folks with opinions and suggestions. You guys have much more information at your disposal than I seem to have.

The individual that rebuilt it said it was one of the nicer movements he's seen.

Charlie
    Last edited by dbcad; September 19th, 2010 at 17:17. Reason: addition

If it is consistantly fast by the same rate every day it is good. John MS has explained what you can do. List of US watchmakers here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f295/us...ks-166630.html
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Thank you John MS, I'll take another look. I have a pretty good jewelers screwdriver set, and with reading glasses will be comfortable.

Still getting used to navigation on the site, different than what I'm used to.

Really appreciate your input

Charlie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information