Hello - new here to the forum!
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hello - new here to the forum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile Hello - new here to the forum!

Just wanted to say hello! I have purchased my first vintage watch and I am fascinated by the mechanical movement. I really like the sound of how the watch runs!...

Well, I have read the sticky posts -- and before I make a fool of myself with stupid questions..... can anyone point me toward good reading on vintage watches? Tissot focus would be grand (that's what I bought).

I am not interested in the value of the watch, more so it's heratige and if it's real or fake :)...

Nice to *meet* everyone!

** edit ** ooops, forgot to post pics of the watch I bought ROFL....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Atoche; October 27th, 2007 at 14:22.

Re: Hello - new here to the forum!

Hi and welcome.

Your watch looks good to me - but I'm not very knowledgeable, so I'll let others comment further. Tissot's own website has some history (choose 'about us' first):

http://www.tissot.ch/

Here is an article about collecting:

http://ezinearticles.com/?A-Collecto...ches&id=282936

Cheers!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The watch appears geniune. The movement is a Tissot Cal. 27-1T (cf. http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...k&Tissot_27_1T - but be aware that the picture there shows the Cal. 27-21T with indirect central second adaptation which includes an extra wheel on the back) and if Ranfft is correct in his serial numbering, yours ought to be from the mid-fifties.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is definitely in the Tissot 27 calibre family. But I don't think it's a 27-1T... there are others in the family that look closer like the 27 itself. These calibres were made from the middle 30's to the middle 50's.

Hartmut, does Ranfft have a serial number list? ... or did you get this information from all the movement pics??

I tend to agree with Hartmut that it's from the 1950s. The stampings on the back plate and the serial number are pretty close to the 27-21T from 1952 illustrated in the Ranfft archive. The corresponding subsecond movement would be 27-1T.
    As far as I know Tissot does not have a serial number list published on the Internet.
    Thanks to the original poster for posting.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    I tend to agree with Hartmut that it's from the 1950s. The stampings on the back plate and the serial number are pretty close to the 27-21T from 1952 illustrated in the Ranfft archive. The corresponding subsecond movement would be 27-1T.
    As far as I know Tissot does not have a serial number list published on the Internet.
    Thanks to the original poster for posting.
    Ah, you are correct. I had always assumed the movement pics at Ranfft were of the actual calibre being discussed. But he re-uses pics... evidently the pic for 27-1T is actually a 27-21T...

In a much earlier post in this forum it was mentioned the book Tissot used to distribute with their watches had a serial number list. So I got both the English and German versions and couldn't find it. (The German version has a lot more nice pictures!) Too bad. It would be very useful.

Maybe that's one of the reasons old Omegas are so valuable... you can get a lot of information about them... ?? AFAIKT, these Tissots are just as well built.
    Last edited by Eeeb; October 28th, 2007 at 08:30.

I like Tissot very much and agree it's a quality watch. Just not as much info about them unfortunately.
    About the only watches that can be positively identified from movement serial numbers are certain higher end Swiss and a fair number of "all-American" brands.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Tissot Serial Numbers

Attached is a table of Tissot serial numbers versus manufacturing dates.

The serial number on the poster's watch (2943525) dates the watch to 1953.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ijsco likes this.

Re: Tissot Serial Numbers

Thanks for info Jim. I've saved for future reference.

Thanks Jim. I've copied your post over to the Tissot forum.
    Lee Meister
    Moderator - Tissot & Affordables
    Houston, Texas

What a long, strange trip it's been... - The Grateful Dead

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information